PDA

View Full Version : Thumb Hole Stocks?

bkhartman
04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
I have never fired a rifle with a thumb hole stock, I have shouldered them and liked the fit as it seems to allow for a tighter overall stock weld and better alignment with the sight/optic. So my question is, is this my imagination or is this what the T-H stock provides to the shooter? Thanks Brian

tinkerer
04-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Personally, I like the position of my right hand, more inline with the trigger. Stock weld is nice and natural too. I'm thinking about redoing the buttpad with an adjustable to get the LOP very exact.

Finished it, bedded it and get consistent 1/2" groups with factory 168 BTHP's.

Several makers out there. And a few drop-ins with blocks.

Larry
Tinkerer

Opus Dei
04-24-2012, 10:54 PM
I can tell you about laminates, but not about composites.

I have one of the Hart Accublock laminates from Stocky's on a Remington 700. People will tell you about how the extra weight helps with dampening recoil, but another benefit is a more neutral balance. I find the rifle shoulders and aligns on-point faster due to this.

Tighter weld and better sight alignment? Maybe. Comb height at your cheek isn't likely much different, if at all. If the comb is rolled, it's a little wider support for your cheek. It's more comfortable to me, but I don't think it's adding much (if any) to accuracy IME. The reason I got one is a bad rotator cuff. Having my wrist more vertical helps a little and absorbs some recoil.

snowgetter1
04-25-2012, 12:24 AM
I would think one either loves or hates thumbholes. I love them. Try a cheaper Boyds out. If you don't like it it will be pretty easy to sell on here. I have a Stocky's and two Boyd's now. The Stocky's cost a bit more but has more mass to it than the Boyd's. Both of these are varmint models.
I also had a Choate Ultimate Varmint but did not like the angle of the grip and the grip was really fat.

jeffreyC
04-25-2012, 02:20 PM
The only negative for thumbhole stocks on a Savage is the tang safety is awkward to reach with one.

They fit well but on a hunting rifle it is pretty important to be able to get at the safety.

snowgetter1
04-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Forgot that point Jeffrey. I did file a thumb groove in the stock on my coyote rifle to reach the safety.

bkhartman
04-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the replies Gents, Brian