PDA

View Full Version : Bolt head Groove 7mm mag v Long Action 30-06

M_A_G_N_U_M
12-03-2009, 01:52 AM
??? I am trying my first Barrel /bolt head swap Long Action 110 7mm mag to 308.

Purchased new long action bolt head from Midway. Old bolt head has groove that matches a notch inside the bolt, new one does not.

What did I miss. Do I have to buy a whole new bolt?

ellobo
12-03-2009, 02:16 AM
No. 1: converting a long action to a short action cartridge will likely cause feeding problems unless you shim the rear of the magazine with a filler. No. 2: Take a dremel grinder and grind out the fin on the inside of the bolt to use the new bolt head. Its commonly done.
Savage first atempt at a short action cartridge was a long action with a short cartridge magazine. You can't change magazines without some additional machining to the underside of the bolt. Look at how your long magazine is attached and you will see what I mean.

El Lobo

M_A_G_N_U_M
12-03-2009, 02:47 AM
Thanks, I'll get to grinding. I figured I would put in a benchrest follower. I seldom load the magazine.

M_A_G_N_U_M
12-03-2009, 10:15 AM
SNAFU 2.....Firing pin does not fit through the new bolt head. Switch Barrel, talks about different pin sizes, I should have checked. Does anyone sell the bolt heads that will fit ? Another mod? or replace the whole D@#N thing???

ellobo
12-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I think Midway sells the botl head for the older large dia.firing pin. Otherwise you can drill it out but only to the vent hole.

El Lobo

geargrinder
12-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Since the bolt head shaft is keyed I'd imagine its also has the old .145" diameter firing pin instead of the newer .095". You'll probably need to open the new bolthead for the older pin diameter. Use a #26 (.147") bit, but only to the vent.

Bill