PDA

View Full Version : 111 asistance

tacticalj
04-24-2012, 05:35 AM
So I picked up a model 111 in 300wm. I'm guessing its pre accu-trigger, as it doesn't have one. It has a synthetic stock with factory detachable mag. It was used and I want to look at a wood/laminate stock, so I can pillar bed it. I'm also thinking about rebarreling, but I'm not sure of the twist rate that the factory used at that time. I'm guessing its 1-12, but not sure yet. I tried running a patch down the barrel and was gonna measure the distance it took to make a revolution, but I guess I didn't get the patch tight enough. Anyhow, can anybody assist in telling me my stock options? I'm guessing its gonna need a blind mag well setup, but not sure. I'm also not sure of whether its a centerfeed or staggerfeed, since it has the detachable mag. Also if anybody might know what the twist rate is I'd appreciate it. Oh and I haven't looked at whether its a flat or round rear receiver yet either. I haven't had much time to look at the gun since buying due to work. I'm guessing its flat, like my last 111 in 7mag. Thanks, Jason

ellobo
04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Check to see if it has the button on the side of the stock to release the magazine. If it does you may never find a stock to fit it. Maybe you can find one at Numrich's website. I doubt if it is a centerfeed at that age. Magnum round rifles bought for hunting rarely have a lot of shots through them so the original barrel should be OK as far as wear, just check for copper.

El Lobo

tacticalj
04-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah the release is on the side. I'm not so concerned with wear on the barrel as I am twist rate for heavier bullets. I was actually hoping that I could just find a box, follower, and spring to make it a blind magazine setup and then I could simply use a standard long action type stock, I think! If not I'll contemplate something, such as a CDI mag feed setup or something.

ellobo
04-25-2012, 01:17 AM
With a stock that is made for staggerfeed you can convert with no problem. You may have to use a centerfeed magazine as your rifle may not take a magazine attached to the action, but I am not sure about that. Boyds has stocks for centerfeed magazines which stay in the stocks. They are good stocks and cheap at $98 for a laminate drop in stock. Check them out. Someone will chime in if I am going in the wrong direction on this.

El Lobo

tacticalj
04-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Well that's sort of what I was thinking. I haven't taken it out of the factory stock to look at it and see if it will accept the box type magazine setup or not. I'm hoping that I can mess with it on Thursday or Friday, since my week has been so busy! Maybe then I'll get a better idea of what all I want/can do with it. I'm gonna get on stockades site and order a tactical bolt handle and a bolt lift kit for it. I could make one, but I think I'll try Kevin's this time! I may even order a recoil lug as well, incase I decide to pull it apart and rebarrel. I'd like to possibly try some 190-200+gr bullets, but I gotta see what twist the factory barrel is first. I'll probably use this as a long range gun too, but want to keep it more like a hunting rifle also, so light and easy to carry/maneuver!