PDA

View Full Version : savage bolt lift kit?

axaviere
12-02-2009, 08:57 PM
i was looking for bolt handles when i ran across a lift kit for $8 on the same page. sound familiar to anyone? can anyone explain what exactly the kit helps with? i wanted to read the description to get an idea. it seems like there were just 2 parts, a bearing and a washer. thanks

82boy
12-02-2009, 09:05 PM
The idea is a brain child of SSS. What it is, is a piece of 38 special brass cut down withe a ball bearing glued in the primer hole. This makes a smaller contact area, and reduces friction, so that the bolt has a smoother ride.

To install the kit it will add length so you need to trim back the back of the bolt head to compensate. The kit will not work on the newer accu-stock guns, for they have a cocking indicator at the end of the bolt. Don't worry if you have an accu-stock SSS now makes a lifter kit for them as well.

axaviere
12-05-2009, 08:03 AM
thanks for the reply. what is involved in the trimming? do i need a mill or lathe? maybe a gunsmith? thanks. oh my rifle is a 10fcp-hs non accustock.

geargrinder
12-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I use a bench grinder. A dremel would work too.

All you need to do is remove the thickness of the rim plus the amount the bearing protrudes above the kit surface.

BTW. Don't spend $8 on a kit. I make mine from a 357 or 38 special case that I pick up at the range. cut the sides of the case down to the case head. I remove the primer and glue in a $0.16 ball bearing from the hardware store. IIRC it's 5/32".

dolomite_supafly
12-05-2009, 05:22 PM
On one of my Savages I used the 38 SPC case except I drilled and tapped it 8-32 then screwed in a rounded setscrew with locktite, making sure the protrusion was minimal. It worked out really well for me.

Dolomite

axaviere
12-05-2009, 10:23 PM
any pictures? i kinda get it, but its not easy to visualize. thanks

Junfan
12-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Pics or a link would be appreciated.

Blue Avenger
12-06-2009, 02:52 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savagebolt008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/bbcockingbutton.jpg

blwnbwtie
12-06-2009, 11:06 PM
What do you trim? Is it the end of the bolt that holds the bolt handle on, or the actual bolt head?

geargrinder
12-06-2009, 11:25 PM
You trim the BAS, the screw that holds the bolt handle on.

MSG Janoski
12-14-2009, 09:58 AM
The idea is a brain child of SSS. What it is, is a piece of 38 special brass cut down withe a ball bearing glued in the primer hole. This makes a smaller contact area, and reduces friction, so that the bolt has a smoother ride.

To install the kit it will add length so you need to trim back the back of the bolt head to compensate. The kit will not work on the newer accu-stock guns, for they have a cocking indicator at the end of the bolt. Don't worry if you have an accu-stock SSS now makes a lifter kit for them as well.

So do they or don't they now have one for the newer accu-stock? (I've tried calling twice but can't get through).

Dirk
12-14-2009, 10:58 AM
The bolt lift kit goes INSIDE the bolt assembly, so you may have to revert to an old style BAS.

82boy
12-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Don't worry if you have an accu-stock SSS now makes a lifter kit for them as well.

So do they or don't they now have one for the newer accu-stock? (I've tried calling twice but can't get through).

Yes they do, as stated in the quote. Keep trying to call them.