PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Crossfire closeout

WestPat
04-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Hello,
I am in the process of buying a 1995 Savage 112BT .308 Competition rifle from the local gun store. He had the gun marked for 575 then when I went to put it on layaway the owner told me he had priced it wrong. I did not want to walk away from the gun because it is immaculate, and I knew the previous owner, so we settled on $650, with me keeping the rings and bases. Leading me to the scope. It is a 1st gen Springfield Armory 4-16x 56 Government Model. He had a price tag on the scope separately for 595 which I knew was crazy money. I have read the less than stellar reviews of this scope across the internet. Anyway that leaves me with a 30mm mount and no scope with a tiny budget for one?

Here is my proposal.
SWFA.com is closing out the 4-16x50 Crossfire for $119. I have read the good, bad, and ugly regarding these scopes, but it seems that there customer service is second to none. I was thinking about getting one these to mount on the 112. In the event that it were to fail I would have the option of getting it replaced or upgrading to another Vortex scope such as Viper or Diamondback. Overall I like what I hear about Vortex, and their scopes look good.

Questions:
1) Does this sound like a good plan and a good price?
2) Is there a better scope out there for this price?
3) Does anyone have experience with the 112BT, and is that a fair price for just the rifle?

Any and all comments are appreciated. I am growing into a fan of the barrel nut and I am trying to learn what I can!
Thanks,
David

WestPat
04-23-2012, 08:16 PM
PS I would like to keep it as a 50 0r 56 mm since that is what the base and rings are set up for.

sniper15545
04-23-2012, 08:52 PM
I really like my Vortex Vipers But as far as the crossfire bedtween my dad and myself we had alot of problems with them. They would not track at all and one of them the vertical turret completely quit working while at the PA Savage shoot. Its up to you sir, But I personally would never purchase a crossfire. On behalf of Vortex they did stand behind their Crossfire's and let me trade up to a viper at a fair price ;D

WestPat
04-23-2012, 09:11 PM
I hate to get the rifle sometime in the next 60 days and not have a scope for it. I am interested enough in the Vortex line that I would be willing to upgrade down the line if the Crossfire fails.

I have also found some decent deals on entry level Sightmark or Mueller scopes. What is your opinion on those?

cgeorgemo
04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
I have a nice Meuller 2-7X32 Multi Shot scope that I bought from Mr.Furious (Jim Baker) off of this forum. I like it, it is a nice quality scope that is a good value and it works great on my Model 11 7mm-08 come deer season.
I also have a Millet Buck Gold 4-16X56 on my Model 12 .204 that is also a great value for the performance.

bythebook
04-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Be sure what size tube your Crossfire is when you get it. Some of them are 1 inch and some of them are 30mm . I saw where you would have 30mm mounts.

GaCop
04-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Be sure what size tube your Crossfire is when you get it. Some of them are 1 inch and some of them are 30mm . I saw where you would have 30mm mounts.

+1 the 8X32X50 Crossfire is a 30 mm tube. The older Crossfires were 1 inch tubes. I spoke with Vortex recently about repair concerns with the Crossfire line being dropped. I was assured that Vortex will still honor their warranty.

WestPat
04-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I know it is a baseline but I am still leaning toward the crossfire with the option to upgrade if it breaks.

fgw_in_fla
04-29-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm waiting on my Crossfire to come back from warranty repair as I type this. I had it on my 30.06 for 3 weeks. 4 trips to the range & on the 2nd trip, about 200 rounds into it & the A.O. would not range / focus properly. Prior to that incident, it worked flawlessly. I really like the scope but I'm a little reluctant to put it back on my '06.
Even though it wasn't ranging properly, I still used it. On a 200 yd line it would be set at "infinity". It still worked great, just a little "off"....
Anyway, an email to Vortex & almost immediately I get a response with a FedEx ticket number & label. No handling & shipping fees, no BS. They had the scope for 4 days & it's on its way back.
I spoke with a cust. svc. rep & she assured me it would be sent back within 3 to 5 days. If it was found to be unrepairable, they'd work out "such a deal" on the next model up the line.

If you asked my personal opinion, I'd say spend a few bucks more & go with a Viper or whatever you can afford BESIDES the Crossfire.
Even their cust. svc. people told me it's an entry level scope.... don't expect it to function like a higher priced scope. (whatever that means...)
WHen they said that to me I responded with - By that thinking, if I do a $50 job for someone I should only put in minimum effort & skill. If I do a $500 job, I should do my best I'm capable of.... Either you sell a quality product / provide a professional service, or you don't. Which is it?

ANyway, I can kinda sorta see their point. It's assembled in some foreign country by kids being paid 6 cents a day. Buy the model assembled in USA or some other country where they can at least read, and you get a better product.

LAstly, when it was set on max. mag. (32x) I could see ants walking on a power pole 2 blocks away. It really is a nice scope for the price. Just watch what kind of recoil you subject it to & you'll be OK.

Frank in Fla

WestPat
04-29-2012, 12:32 PM
It would be going on a .308. The deal they have at SWFA for the 4-16x50 is half off. I am buying the savage and I really won't have the money to spend on good glass right away. I am looking at a low cost solution that would open the door to allow me to upgrade if the scope.goes belly up. I was not planning on buying the 112, someone else had gotten it, but now it is up for sale again. So I am stretching my finances pretty thin right now to buy it.

It is that or leave it in the gun safe til I can save up for one of the following:
Mueller 8x32-44 Target
SS 16 or 20x fixed power
Millet buck gold 56mm
Vortex Viper

Instant gratification for less or save my pennies all over again and wait for a better product.
Comments/Criticism welcome.
Thanks,
David

Rick_W
04-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Instant gratification for less or save my pennies all over again and wait for a better product.

Been there - done that!

Doing it again right now.

As for your choices just listed - be careful of the fixed power unless it will ONLY be target or prarie dog gun. Even with variables, I caution against anything with a minimum power of 8x for hunting unless you have lots of wide open spaces. Minimum of 6x can be ok, but where I hunt that is still too much.

For the price, I like the Vortex Vipers. But I am saving up for a Viper PST 4-16x50.

I guess I am "lucky" that I don't live where my guns are kept. I don't have the ability to sit and look at or play with them wondering how well I can or can't shoot them. Oh well, 12 more months.

WestPat
04-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I am considering the SS fixed power because this gun will be a Target only gun.
My deer gun is a Smith Corona 1943 03A3 with a Weaver K4 4x32 scope. It was sporterized in Texas in the early 50's and has been in the family ever since. I live in North Alabama and family is in South Alabama. All hunting is done at about 70 yds or less so I have never had need for a powerful scope. The view from the Weaver is still about the brightest and.clearest picture I have ever seen through a scope.

I just bought a 110E earlier this month(to be a.project gun) and put a CenterPoint 4-16x40 scope on it. Yes I bought it from Walmart and it only cost $70 but the AO is right on at 50 and 100 yds, and it gives a very clear view up to 12x. I can group 5 shots under 1" @ 50 yds with it. not great but I have not put in a lot of practice with the gun because all my pennies are going toward the 112 bt right now.

That is all there is to know about me. I am an infant shooter so to speak, so I am not in a place where my skill level would warrant high dollar glass. I am looking for reliability in the $350 or less range that I can grow with out to about 300 yds, which is the max range.I have access to right now.

Final thought- The most clear scope that I have looked through recently are the new.Redfields. I would lean toward one of them but I don't hear much talk about them. Are the new ones good scopes. Made in Oregon or China? Owned by Leupold?

Thanks for reading and please respond!
David

Rick_W
04-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Final thought- The most clear scope that I have looked through recently are the new.Redfields. I would lean toward one of them but I don't hear much talk about them. Are the new ones good scopes. Made in Oregon or China? Owned by Leupold?

David,

The Redfield Revolution line is made in the US. The other lines from Refield are made overseas.

Redfield is owned by Leupold.

If you can't shoot past 300 yards you really don't require a scope with adjustable objective or side focus. Paralax is not going to be much of an issue, if any IMO, at this range unless you are shooting benchrest competition.

I believe the Redfield Revoltion 4-12x40 would make a good investment that would not hold you back.

Don't be afraid to check out ebay or other want ads for used equipment. You could find a used scope of higher quality in your price range.

Leupold and Vortex both have excellent warranties that follow the scope, not the original owner.