PDA

View Full Version : Sizing die

243LPR
04-21-2012, 05:42 PM
I have a neck die in 6mm Rem, a neck and a collet die for the 243 Win. Can I use any of those to neck size a 6mm AI ?

nsaqam
04-21-2012, 08:36 PM
You can use the Lee Collet Die for the 6mmRem AI but you'd need to use a 2mm (.080") thick washer around the case on top of the shellholder to account for the difference in length between the two cartridges.
I don't know about the others.

gotcha
04-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Or, you could use 6mm rem (6mm 244 rem) lee collet die on the AI. The 6mm rem. collet die will also size the AI version. Check, Titan reloading.com........ You may be able to buy a single die rather than a set............... +1 on the spacer NSAQAM mentioned. He's an ACE on modifying Lee collet dies & recently "created" a 6.5X47 L collet die for me by modifying a 6.5X55 swede LCD. Works beautifully ;)

243LPR
04-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Checked Titan. Die is special order,don't know how long that means. Can I use my 6mm bullet seater on the AI?

nsaqam
04-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Or, you could use 6mm rem (6mm 244 rem) lee collet die on the AI. The 6mm rem. collet die will also size the AI version. Check, Titan reloading.com........ You may be able to buy a single die rather than a set............... +1 on the spacer NSAQAM mentioned. He's an ACE on modifying Lee collet dies & recently "created" a 6.5X47 L collet die for me by modifying a 6.5X55 swede LCD. Works beautifully ;)

Thanks.

It's much easier (for me anyway) to make a longer LCD work for a shorter cartridge than dealing with putting a washer around each and every case you put into the press.
You could I suppose solder the washer onto the collet portion of the LCD so it stayed on the die rather than having to put it around the case every time. Could even make a spacer which was a press fit on the bottom of the collet. That would be the most elegant solution but would require a lathe to make the spacer.

gotcha
04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
243 LRP, Re: using 6mm Rem seater. You could use the seater on unfired 6MM Rem. brass, but once you've fire formed the brass it will no longer fit the chamber of the die. I chkd. LEE's site a few weeks back & they no longer showed the 6mm AI collet as available. However, Midway still had inventory. Evidently LEE has discontinued the 6mm AI collet die. Searching various reloading supply sites could turn one up. Grab it before the inventories are depleted. It will probably be a "special order" in the future...........I'll chk around a bit & if I locate a LEE collet I'll post below.

gotcha
04-24-2012, 11:39 AM
243 LRP I checked w/ LEE this AM. They assured me the 6mm rem/ 6mmAI LCD is still a standard item. Part# 90710........... Call them direct (262) 673-3075 & they will fix you up if you can't find one @ Midway, Mid-South etc. Dale

nsaqam
04-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Grafs has them in stock as well.

243LPR
04-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Cool, thanx guys.Now all I have to do is find a bullet seater for the AI. Maybe I can use the seater for my 243 wssm?

gotcha
04-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Can you make a silk purse from a sows ear? :D You get an A+ for creative thinking. But, the concentricity issues could be overwhelming. The neck of the 6 Rem/6AI is about .070" longer than the 6wssm. Much of the neck would be unsupported when seating bullets. Rem. brass is noted for its inconsistent wall thickness. The base of the bullet will skew to the thinnest (weakest) section of the neck wall. Do yourself a favor and get a quality seater that fully supports the neck & has the proper shoulder angle to center the case in the die. My choice of dies would be Lee LCD, Forster micro seater & Redding body die. The choice is all yours. :) Note: The LCD doesn't rely on proper shoulder angle fit, but rather, a snug fit of the mandrels de-cap pin to the flash hole. Hope this helps.

nsaqam
04-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Can you make a silk purse from a sows ear? :D You get an A+ for creative thinking. But, the concentricity issues could be overwhelming. The neck of the 6 Rem/6AI is about .070" longer than the 6wssm. Much of the neck would be unsupported when seating bullets. Rem. brass is noted for its inconsistent wall thickness. The base of the bullet will skew to the thinnest (weakest) section of the neck wall. Do yourself a favor and get a quality seater that fully supports the neck & has the proper shoulder angle to center the case in the die. My choice of dies would be Lee LCD, Forster micro seater & Redding body die. The choice is all yours. :) Note: The LCD doesn't rely on proper shoulder angle fit, but rather, a snug fit of the mandrels de-cap pin to the flash hole. Hope this helps.

I concur.

243LPR
04-25-2012, 08:44 PM
So I can use a standard 6mm Rem. seater for the AI ? Sounds like I should get a neck turner too,just to clean things up.Thanks for the advice.This will be my first wildcat.

bootsmcguire
04-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Just order the Lee Collet die set. The Dead-length Seating that comes with the set should work just fine. This is the system that I use for my 243AI and it works great.

I too have been modifying the LCD sets for unavailable chamberings. I once took a 6 PPC LCD and then shortened a 243 DL-Seater to make a 6BR Collet die set. Most recently I modified a 308 LCD Set for 30BR. All are working great.

I usually add in a Redding Body Die to the setup for the newly made caliber just in case I need to bump the shoulder back if they get tough to chamber, but I rarely need it.

You can also solder or even glue a "C" Shaped shim to a shell holder. I had to do that to allow me to use a 22 Hornet LCD on my 22 K-Hornet brass. Worked like a charm.

gotcha
04-26-2012, 12:47 PM
So I can use a standard 6mm Rem. seater for the AI ? Sounds like I should get a neck turner too,just to clean things up.Thanks for the advice.This will be my first wildcat.
[/quote] ....................... Yes, you can. But, once the brass is firefomed you'll need a 6mm AI seater.............. If you have a tight budget, Bootsmcquires' advice could be best............. Personally I'd hold off on neck turning gear 'til you receive your brass. Sometimes Remington makes suprizingly consistent brass. Just "the luck of the draw" though. I've had best luck w/ 80 gr Berger # 24321 (pricey) & Sierra 107MK. Haven't tried V-max yet.

243LPR
04-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Collet die set on the way along with a 244 imp. go gage. Just waiting on barrel now.

Blue Avenger
04-29-2012, 06:38 PM
not all std seaters work. some will push some of the taper back out of the case.

243LPR
04-30-2012, 04:46 PM
So what do you use Blue?

Blue Avenger
04-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Lee seems to be generous. I can fit a 7mm rem mag case in a .270 collet die LOL

243LPR
04-30-2012, 10:25 PM
But what do you use for seating your 6mm AI?

Blue Avenger
05-01-2012, 05:04 AM
have a set of .244 Imp dies. My .243 I use a reg seater.