PDA

View Full Version : bedding a stevens 200

scott597
04-20-2012, 08:09 PM
I am sure this has been asked a couple hundred times already. i have put my stevens 200 SA CF into a new boyds laminate stock. I would like to do a bedding job on it (my first attempt) i would like to install some pillars in it as well. is it beneficial to install a pillar on the rear screw since it is almost half exposed? not much room for anything around the rear screw area. i assume i will need to ditch the magazine "L" clip as well or cut the pillar to stay below the clip? should i just epoxy bed it with out the pillars or just pillars or both? what would you do?? thanks for any input on this one

cgeorgemo
04-20-2012, 08:37 PM
http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Restocking My Savage
This is what I would do......since I did it when I wrote the article.
I would only change one thing from what I wrote in the article.
I've found that using lamp rod as a stock pillar is way less expensive than buying the pillars sold online for stocks.

stangfish
04-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Sorry for asking a question rather than answering. Are you having accuracy problems. Do you want practice in bedding an action. I ask this because I have seen unbelievable accuracy out of some Stevens rifles with no stock modifications.

scott597
04-20-2012, 08:49 PM
before the stock change the accuracy was ok. i use the gun as a coyote/ target gun. as many here i just cant leave it alone. i like the idea of the action resting on a nice bed with the pillars to prevent things from moving around. theres always room for improvment. also i think it's a little phsycological. confidence is everything. since i changed the stock i have only shot some experimental loads for some yote rounds. shooting 4 shoot groups i was getting three very close and a flier. the flier was coming in anywhere in the 4 shot sequence.