PDA

View Full Version : New Accustocks don't have the wedge

sliderspal
04-20-2012, 07:17 PM
When did Savage stop using the wedge in the Accustocks?

82boy
04-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Some time back. Almost after it was introduced.

Cycler
04-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Some time ago. I bought a model 16 Accustock in Feb, 2011 and it doesn't have the wedge so it was before that. As I understand it Savage had a patent infringement problem with the wedge design and had to stop using it.

nsaqam
04-20-2012, 09:22 PM
So then. what makes it an Accustock?
The marketing department!

IM Flexi-Flyer would be accurate but that would be copyright infringement.

Cycler
04-21-2012, 10:36 AM
So then. what makes it an Accustock?
The marketing department!

IM Flexi-Flyer would be accurate but that would be copyright infringement.
The aluminum bedding block/rail makes the stock rigid where it counts. That has remained even if the wedge is gone.

Uncle Jack
04-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Are the new stocks as good as the originals with the "wedge"? Who's patent was infringed?

Just wondering....I have a couple of the originals.

uj

82boy
04-21-2012, 10:49 AM
As I understand it Savage had a patent infringement problem with the wedge design and had to stop using it.

I have never found any proof to this, and I have never seen another gun maker use such a thing. I would say the reasons why they stoped using the accu-wedge is for one, it never did anything, its purpous was to make sure the recoil lug was seated against the stock, (Same thing can be accomplished set setting the gun up when tighting down the screws.) It complicated things but making it harder to install the action into the stock, and added another screw that confused newer shooters. Lastly it intruduced stress into the system, requiring it to be tuned, to work, and many shooters reported the gun shooting better after removing the wedge. All In all, its benifit did not out weigh it need.

viper9696
04-21-2012, 02:52 PM
I seen on long range pursuit that gunwerks is using an accu wedge on their lr1000 rifle ,so it must do something ;)

wahoowad
04-24-2012, 07:02 AM
So without the wedge it basically has the aluminum block bedding, correct? What would be different between one of these newer accustocks and an HS precision or B&C that also comes with the bedding block?

82boy
04-24-2012, 09:53 AM
The type of bedding block to start with, The accu-stock uses a thiner u channel block that spreads apart as the action is drawn down into the stock. The H-S precision, and other stocks use a V block which is solid, and the action sits onto of the stiff block. Besides that the materials used in the stock its self are completly different. The accu-stock still has flex in the pistol grip area, where the H-S precision will not, and this is do to the materials used.