PDA

View Full Version : 35 years of Alaska packs and Survival

Pages : [1] 2 3

358Hammer
04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Thought I would share with you the most comfortable day/expedition pack I have ever used. $70.00

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/Survival-huntingpacks002.jpg

Sportsmans Guide has been carrying a lot of Fox tactical packs for sale for a while. The expedition pack on the right has become my bugout pack and is ready for 5 days gone as it sets. Though I did not buy the pack through Sportsmans it did cause me to go to their website. SInce they do not sell to the general public I was extremely happy to find that at least one mistake was made and I ended up with this incredible pack.
1. Note the orange handle of my Gerber machete. There is nothing but a stiffening board for the pack untill I put a boat type cutting board and my machette in this zippered slot.
2. The wood balls which are going to be replaced shortly are to keep slung guns from sliding off the shoulders all day. Hands free on the gun unless one takes a forward dive.
3. The pack has two side pounches that are easily accessed and a front pouch which I modified for my needs. Initually that front pouch dropped and made a extention back from the pack allowing one to put sleeping bags,pads, etc on the front of the pack. I actually cut all straps and attachment hardware off so I could access the pocket without removing the pack and turning it upside down. I then used beaners to reattach the front pouch to the molle strap systm,. note; There are molle straps everywhere.
4. Not visible in this picture. This day pack has a separate compartment in which the bottom circumferance of the pack unzips and the entire bottom drops 6-8 inches allowing for a separate zip compartment for more storage!!
5. Currently I did not want to unpack the pack, so shown on the floor is what was in another pack. But is also contained in the day pack. The 48" sleeping pad weighs 2 pounds. The sleeping bag though a summer 40 degree bag also 2 pounds works awesome getting the wife warm in the winter when used along with a poncho over clothing. -35 windchill and she can smile has to be a good thing. Now if you take our two ponchos and velcro them together and each has either the poncho liners or the sleeping bag pictured this setup works great for an accidental overnight sheep camp.

6. The stove pictured works fair in freezing temperatures and will cook a meal but I like my Wisperlite white gas or any type of fuel stoves when the temps get cold. When it is above freezing this Jetboil has no peers for rapid boiling of water. It flat out gets-r-done. Friends that use to have various cooking stoves stopped using their other stoves after seeing I was eating and done before they had water boilig in many cases used my stove. They now own their own jetboil system. What is neat with this system is the top container and the stove slot together so heat doesn't escape and this system is hard to tip over. My jetboil fork,spoon,spatula,handle and frying pan along with the stove all fit in one tight packed kit like pictured.

Currently the pack on the right is the most comfortable up to 35 pounds pack I have ever had on my body. As pictured the pack is not full and I am walking with this pack at 35 pounds getting ready for an August sheep hunt. I have carried this pack most of the winter and was a wonderful addition to my winter snowshoeing. To date I can not say enough good about this pack. It is somewaht heavy in my opinion empty but the material,zippers and workmanship appear to be quite good. If it starts to fray I have an awl and the needed stuff in the pack to fix anything. SO far I have carried a lot of weight for several hundred miles without sign of coming apart. The other two packs have been on this old body for 35 years and are my go to heavy load meat and or hide packs. I have also modified them to my frame and needs as well.

If there is any interest I would be happy to take the different items contained in this pack apart and show what is actually inside. SO let me know if there is interest. This day pack as stated is my grab and gone pack. The entire thing is a survival kit.

Neal

wapaloose
04-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Nice one Neal, Now if i could still carrie one i would be happy.
Thanks Larry

Smokey262
04-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Which one of these is it?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/search/eSearch.aspx?SearchTerms=fox%20tactical&eMode=

358Hammer
04-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Lets see how this link posts smokey.

Definitely the one.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/advanced-expeditionary-pack.aspx?a=609164

Neal

Rick_W
04-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Neal,

I had a chance to handle the Fox tactical products at the SHOT show this year and they felt pretty substantial for the price-point they are being offered at. People need to understand the reason these are being offered for the low price is because of where they are made - China IIRC.

I have been curious as to how they would hold up to serious use - as compared to the Maxpedition & Voodoo Tactical products..

How long have you had your pack and have you used it for general camping/packing?

358Hammer
04-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Winter started in November so pretty much 5 months of stead every week several times a week use.

I concurred about China and would not have purchased the pack if I would have realized it was made in China. Now that this pack has got my attention I would buy it again! However I had to choose what I wanted or be disappointed by yet another day pack that fell apart because of who made it or the price I was unwilling to pay.

This pack is used and hard. 35 pound loads are a lot for a typical day pack and I have a number that have come apart. We have been going out of our way to make sure to try everything out regardless of the weather and it was a huge miserable winter that will have killed another 80% of our game once more. I did use a great water proof/repel spray that for the most part I never had stuff inside get wet. There are drain grommets inside the pockets however to let the water out. Indicating to me that it isn't suppose to be waterproof.

This does day and weekend camps with plenty of room to spare. I do vacuum seal and make my own meals so my stuff takes up less room than canned or packet freeze dried or MRE's. I am positive that I can do a 5 day backpack trip and have room for everything including my Sierra Design
4 season backpacker tent. However I like my externals for 50+ pound packs because they disperse the load better and I can add another 60 pounds of boned sheep meat.. This last statement hasn't been tried with this new pack, but other lessor packs have come apart with lighter loads.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/001-9.jpg

My raingear go under and behind the beaner pouch on the front so I do not have to get into the pack or put wet gear inside of a dry compartment.
There are loops for bags or what have you on the bottom of the pack. I made straps from the buckles and straps I cut off the front bag for carrying anything I want on the outside. On the left shoulder strap I carry a mounted watch and compass. As one can see, I can put a lot on the outside.

Neal
Neal

Rick_W
04-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Greatly appreciate the feedback and glad to hear it's positive.

For the pricepoint I believe I will pick it up.

The areas I live and travel around on the MS Gulf Coast & the MS River don't get the extreme weather AK does, but the temps can get down to quite uncomfortable levels ;D and the rain can sit in for a while.

As I get closer to retirement I am looking for things to do that will get me out of the house and stay active (when the second career will allow). I am looking at buying a fishing kayak and doing some camping.

I need a pack that can carry what I need for a couple days. Waterproof is not absolutely necessary as I have drybags if needed. I tend to pack my clothes in gallon ziplock bags to ensure they stay dry and pack smaller (learned that from touring on a motorcycle).

358Hammer
12-12-2012, 02:19 AM
I figure with hunting season winding down and snow on the ground it time to visit this as it is time to start our fun time of the year. Many start thinking about Christmas and gaining a bit of weight and basically hibernating for the winter.

A number of years ago I decided it wasn't good to gain that weight and a real pain to get rid of it now.

That day or 3 night pack mentioned is still going strong. As of yet we haven't changed any of our habits so to speak except it is my idea that when the blizzard is coming Lisa and I hopefully will take off and set up camp somewhere in the heart of the storm just to challenge ourselves. in searching for some information on stuff I accidentally found some video's that someone really did some nice work showing how we live in Alaska.
At least for those of us who actually go out into the wilds.

Enjoy
Neal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ldQ-BTdqg&feature=endscreen&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfRovJ1KcCg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ksyivTxZzw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGIFS3EI1KY

Apache
12-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Very interesting info.

358Hammer
12-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Most things take practice and time.

Like the meal pictured below. This is home made venison hash with potatoes/onions and ground flax seeds with 12 grain biscuits (ground myself)that I have made a number of times at home. A cup of the hash will last me six hours of hiking/hunting.

My new fox call should be here tomorrow and I am headed out to set up camp Friday.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/CoastGuardKodiak003.jpg

Neal

Apache
12-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Neal,

That looks like one fine meal right there!!! And I just had lunch!

I've always wanted to try living like you are, use to read everything I could get my hands on about it as a kid. It's good to know there are those among us who are living the dream and sharing it with us wanna be's.

358Hammer
12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Jim you are welcome to come anytime. I just checked out a place that is only 15 miles from my house. It is a penninsula 200 yards out into the ocean. Hidden in behind military property with a big do not enter. It is a steep climb down to it but I can canoe around if I wish. I also know of a long wet flat walk to this spot as well. SInce there is nothing but serious brush,deer and rabbits there not many people will ever go there.

200 yard range with awesome backstop and not a soul around! Oh nearly forgot that on the other side of that big rock is very deep ocean which should hold plenty of supper fun!

I am picking up drift wood and building a wood pile in anticipation of me going back tomorrow and putting up my lean-to frame and digging my fire pit.
Neal

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/Newcampsite006.jpg

That is ocean behind me and to the right of the big rock outcropping.

Apache
12-12-2012, 09:59 PM
That's just beautiful! I may just take you up on that visit sometime in the next couple of years.

I'm still getting over an injury from work from over a year ago. Slow recovery but hopefully I fully recover by this time next year anyway.

From around 8 years old into my late teens, I had always dreamed about homesteading in the Yukon or coastal Alaska. Jack London's Call of The Wild started it.

Got out of school and started making some pretty good money for non-college grad. That job lasted 9 1/2 years during which time I got married and started a family of 5 kids......needless to say where all the money went after that. :o

I can't really complain but the older I get, the more I often wonder what a life up there would have been like.

There was a buddy of mine on these forums a while back named Outlawkyote.........lived on the Wyoming Montana border....nearly moved up there around him a couple of years ago but family issues (kids maturing, marrying and getting out totally on their own and wife's retirement) got in the way of that.

Perhaps the closest I'll get is a nice vacation up there at some point. I enjoy reading your stuff about living up there. It certainly beats the crap they put on TV shows about it. Everything I've ever read about it says those TV shows are full of BS for the most part!

BTW..post the results of your fox hunts!

Blitzfike
12-28-2012, 01:02 PM
October is the latest I have experienced Alaska. I've missed the last two years because of health issues, but I usually go visit family at Eagle River in mid August. In the years I've been visiting Alaska, I've been everywhere you can drive from Anchorage on paved highways and a few non paved ones as well. Someday before I die, I am going to make it to Nome and pan for gold on the beach. Alaska gets in your blood for sure.. Jim

358Hammer
12-29-2012, 11:38 AM
In the past 6 weeks we have had 4 weeks of 40-42 degree temps. When the last picture was taken the temp was below freezing. We actually had a couple weeks of single digit weather.
I picked up a baby Rocket stove to add to my collection of things at the above campsite. Type in Rocket stove and watch all the different video's on rocket stove. It works exactly like indicated in the video's. I have to see if I can find an old coleman oven to go with my stoves now and I will be completely independant and able to do anything at the campsite. The only tracks I have seen in this area are rabbit,fox and deer. Large flocks of ducks and geese are in this small cove every time we show up. With the warm weather I am very hesitant in taking fox as I am afraid of seeing that the hide is not prime.

We are going to the camp site today though it is raining and blowing 60 MPH. Must experience all the different weather outlooks and see what can be improved upon if needed.

This is a picture of a full sized rocket stove. It heats water in my canner to boiling as fast as a propane cook stove. It is called a rocket stove because of the rocket sound it makes when burning..( Extremely efficient) My packer stove is 12" High and the feed/air tube is 12" as well.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/Rocketstove_zps19c8cfbe.jpg

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/photo6_zps3bc79baa.jpg

Neal

Apache
12-30-2012, 01:21 AM
Now that's some tuff weather to be outdoors in!!! Windchill would be unreal!

Did you buy that stove or make it? If you get a chance, post a side view of it also.

I've seen those made/used in 3rd world countries out of fire brick or pottery....

358Hammer
12-30-2012, 10:47 AM
You are right on Jim. The concept came from the indians in the Dakotas. They dug a large and small hole in the hardpan then connected the two holes underground.
1. It stopped above ground fires during windy times.
2. No flame to be seen by their enemies.
3. Cook food rapidly as it is like a blow torch

Fortunately this little oasis only gets wind from one direction and it never blows from that direction for the most part. Kind of brightened up with light fog and drizzle about the time my wife took the picture. It is 39 degrees and light fog with no wind here. The Rocket Stove is actually boiling water on the left side of the fire pit. Water is actually running across the ground on top of the ice under my feet.

With this spot looking like one would not want to walk the mile from the car through the brush and down a very steep hill no one goes here. SO all game already knows this so we watched about a 100 ducks from the fire pit and bunches of geese hide from the hunters several miles away around the corner in another easy access bay. Deer, fox and hare sign everywhere including right in camp.

This morning its 38 degrees blowing 40 mph!

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/12-29-12CampinMiddleBay009_zps58ee7968.jpg

Neal

358Hammer
01-01-2013, 07:30 PM
On the picture above one can see water standing on the ground under where I am sitting.

It got worse.

Had to do something better than pictured with the rocket stove. The stove boiled water in the light drizzle well But the following two days that same wind with heavy rain found all wood saturated.

So I dropped a couple self- lighting briquettes in the bottom of the stove and got them going which in turn dried out the fire material.
It also made the fire much hotter when it finally did take off and the fire lasted a lot longer!

Since I have a couple tents with vestibules I figure I can leave the door on the back packer tent open to the vestibule. The rocket stoves does not burn with spark so I just put a pot on the vented top of the rocket as seen in the picture. I think that Briquettes and twigs will literally drive one out of our 4 season back pack tent.

Check out the enclosed link and watch the video. Boil water and cook a steak at the same time and still burns on the same principle as the rocket stove sure has my attention. No buying fire material (petroleum) unless you are living in a really wet climate like me. A baggy of charcoal is quite cheap fire starter to carry in the pack.

http://kellykettle.com/

Apache
01-01-2013, 08:00 PM
That Kelly kettle in SS would make a dandy setup! Aluminum may get hot enough to melt....If I'm reading right there is a base camp model that has cosmetic defects for around $100 USD......very interesting!

If you decide to get one, do a review on it here.

Found a USA website for orders here:

http://www.kellykettleusa.com/

J.Baker
01-02-2013, 06:16 PM
If you're camp fire is hot enough to melt aluminum you've got way too big of a camp fire! LOL

My preferred solo camp cookware is the GSI Outdoors Halulite Ketlist for around $35. http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/halulite_ketalist/

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/resources/images/cache/pdp/resources/images/product_images/50163_h1_g-486x376.jpg