PDA

View Full Version : 35 years of Alaska packs and Survival

Pages : 1 2 [3]

358Hammer
02-07-2014, 11:48 AM
My bag is more planned toward being the last time I leave behind the material things I don't need to survive the rest of my life.

I haven't weighed this or acquired all the items and the list is subject to change, but here goes:

Cold Steel G.I. Tanto knife
Stainless Mess Kit, skillet, 'plate', small pot w/ lid
1 Fork
Water Purification Tabs
Fleece Sleeping bag
Mil. Issue Green foam pad
2 Nalgene bottles
1 Mil. Issue plastic canteen
"Emergency" blanket
Ammo/Firearms
Survival Life fire starter/BIC lighter

Paracord, as much as I can tie onto anything and everything, hopefully a full 1,000ft

I don't carry a tent: I know how to make shelter in the woods or disaster landscapes
I don't carry raingear: see above
I don't carry food: I'll kill/gather/grow that
I don't carry water: I'll find that

Open to any suggestions for additions/removals of items and agreements/disagreements.[/QUOTE]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I do not quite understand the first sentence above. All my packs have a specific purpose. My external freighter packs have been my work horses since arriving in Alaska in 1974. My day packers are just that, day packers that double as whim overnighters. Jan- Dec
2013 found me walking 850 miles. October alone I walked 121 miles with the 30-35 pound Osprey pack. I have had up to 50 pounds of salmon in that pack.
I have been out in the wilds with the temperature below zero and by the end of the day it was forty degrees. In the old days of search and rescue we had to be prepared to survive every conceivable situation when dropped of to find a lost hunter or a down aircraft. This included the fact that one MUST be prepared that your ride out might be grounded (Helicopter) until the weather improved. So we have a standard 5 day survival scenario in our packs. I myself have 7-10daysworth of gear in mine and they run from 25-35 pounds.

Odwalla Meal bars and supplements added very little weight, just in case my Bear creek soups and stews ran out. When out on searches one does not have time to hunt or scavenge for food when a life is concerned so we are contained for all weather types and I have literally been out in 100 mph winds gusting to a high of 124mph long before cable news was around. I learned so much and incorporated that learning into the things I do today. I was out one day where they predicted 6-8 inches of snow. When the storm was over there was 8-12 foot drifts. We lost 90% of our deer population that year. I had to snow shoe to my wife's work at the hospital to take her snow shoes so she could get home. Snow equipment did not come out till the next day.

All areas of the world require different things to survive. But the basics are pretty much the same. If you are wet you must dry and be able to get out of a winter breeze. All of my outdoor clothing is some type of wool head to foot. I do not chaff and when climbing and packing I dry rapidly when the exertion changes. My # 1 item used is my steripen for purifying lowland or uncertain waters.

#2 Item are tampons: History- tampons were created a long time ago for the military to plug wound holes. They are in my med-surgical kit everywhere I go because they are contained in a sterol environment and are fantastic for wound care. They are also fantastic for removing material from my water. Steripen kills through microwave as I recall and the tampon removes debris.

There is a reason why we have an arctic Navy Seal training center here. Everything is evolving and what use to be state of the art in most cases even five years ago has something new and better today. EXCEPTION: Wool in my opinion has not been improved upon. I would be lost without my smart wool hoodies and hooded wool vests.

If there is any interest in this stuff maybe I will share spending 45 minutes in 38 degree water ( boating accident)when my friend was all but dead while wearing cotton.

Neal

mazda3gun
02-07-2014, 12:56 PM
The sentence you didn't understand means: I'm making a Bug Out Bag for when crap hits the fan, society collapses, apocalyptic catastrophe, global/US disaster situation, that kind of thing. I.E. 'prepping'

Your mind set is for Search and Rescue, or for Alaska/cold weather camping conditions specifically.

I'm asking for ideas and suggestions that have nothing to do with those things, directly.

mazda3gun
02-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I felt you seemed experienced in what I was asking, but maybe this isn't the right thread...