PDA

View Full Version : More Coyotes.

5spd
04-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Dropped into CO Friday nite & met up with DDW to do some pre-storm calling.
Arrived about 630pm and went directly across the road at the ranch & started to call...nothing, set 2 behind the ranch..nothing, set 3 we were set above some stubble and cattle in the fields.
Just about dark pm I see a coyote at 200 yards, I went to prone and got on it. DDW was to my left 60 yards and the wind changed and was coming off my right at a cross into the field below DDW & I know it will get my scent in seconds.
Now I could of shot it 4x, but was trying to let it get below DDW. It stopped and yup right in my scent cone, spun around and booked off. I led it about 3' and dropped it on the run at about 130 yards, then I thought I missed..as no WHAP.
I then see it flopping all over and it did get another 80 yds off as we walked to it and finnished it off. Shot was a tad low & took out the left side front shoulder/leg/chest & still was trying to get out of Dodge.
Good way to finnish a long Friday for me.
Saturday we hit a spot about a mile from the ranch that has wide open croplands, then rolling low hilss to wide open plains, and a ranch behind it full of cattle.
Set 1, we see a pair at 600 yards within 5 min. and not coming in, but trying to figure what we were. All the vocals/distress failed to work, we watched them walk off. We decide to follow them since they were not in a hurry for anything.
This is the same spot I shot a 36 LB male last month & saw hundreds of coyote tracks in the open cut fields and tons of scat under every line tower.
We make about 1/2 mile and bust one of them on top of a crest...it trots off in no hurry. Dang I knew that would happen!
We set up under some of the giant phone line towers & start calling. Yup there they are 700 yards off and now we have 3 coyotes and the pair are chasing one off. It don't go to far and just mouses around and the pair go up over a low hill. I am prone and turn to my right to sit up and see DDWs AR15 up and see at the same time a coyote that came up on his side..that makes 4 just in 1/2 mile..PPPpphhffttt I hear him shoot, it drops at about 80 yds.
We leave it and still calling we see the other 3 together chasing and up over the hill they go. Suppressor had no effect on them at all.
We follow, set up at the last spot we seen them...no answers, but again see them head over a hill another 1/4 mile off...what the heck lets go after them.
So another 1/4 mile we are walking down the backside of the area we have not been to and see how it lays.
We are in a dip between hills and decide to call the next rise, so we make for it and as we are just below the top we can see over it and a coyote is laying with its back/side to us. Down we drop to crawling the last 100'.
I make it to the tall grass and see it below me, I move when its looking the other way. DDW is 60" to my left & can see it, but when he looks into his scope he is still to low, same with me, but I make it so I can see it in my scope btween the grasses. I do not make out any other heads in the grass & wonder if this is now #5 coyote in the same area?
I see it nice and full about 200 yards or s. I raise my dial 3 clicks up, drop my target dot on it and let the 6x45 do its job. Whaap!..it flops & stops, yup guess what, there comes another coyote another 400 yards below that one out of the cattle, so is the #6 in that area?.
These do not look like the 3 we started off tracking.
I walk to my dog, the other one is now about 900 yards off & in no hurry so I say what the heck, dial up to 900 yards, lead it a bit and see it jump as the bullet hits his left rear foot...HA tagged it anyway as it busts into a faster run, but still in no hurry. DDW is up and trying to cut it off as it circles around to my left at 1200 yards in the dips & small gullies.
Its 940 am and we counted 11 coyotes in that time...who says winter is the only time to call....NOT me!.
We see 14 total today, missed 2 & dropped 3. My Savage build in 6x45, 65g vmax in front of AA2015.
Yea I look pretty tired in the pic. The 3 we got along with the dead coyote pile at the ranch.
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn400/5spd1/COcoyotes002-1.jpg
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn400/5spd1/me.jpg
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn400/5spd1/COcoyotes004.jpg

efw
04-15-2012, 05:37 PM
That 6x45 is a butt-kickin' little round!

Good shootin', too! The headshot on that front dog there looks devastating!