PDA

View Full Version : model 11 223 hunter xp

airaddict
04-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I bit the bullet and decided to start another project. Starting w the new model 11 hunter xp in 223. The savage website shows its got the side bolt release and DBM. I plan to keep this as a lightweight project. Eventually ill order a sporter barrel in prob 18" and am considering threading it for a brake to reduce recoil to hopefully 22lr levels. Not cuz i think its too much recoil but i get a kick out of watch the vapor trail at long ranges. I ordered a simmons 6-21x44 to top it with for now. Once i save up somemore hopefully i can.get some nice vortex glass.

Anyone else have experience with this model?

Brian

Hersh5317
04-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Instead of buying a barrel, just get it cut, crowned, and threaded at the same time. Use an A-2 flash hider/comp until your Form4 gets approved for a sound suppressor. You will see that recoil AND muzzle blast reduction that will make it more of a pleasure to shoot. If I could afford it, all of my rifles would wear a mute button.

243LPR
04-15-2012, 11:27 AM
A brake will not reduce noise levels.

cgeorgemo
04-15-2012, 12:10 PM
OP said nothing about sound levels he just wants less recoil...
I have some experience with the 11 XP but mine were .308 and .243. Both are great rifles even though they are now 7mm-08 and 22-250 respectively.

airaddict
04-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Ive considered a can for a rifle but thats just such a big cost and im not sure if im willing to drop that sort of cash when i could prob build a whole new rifle with the same money. Lol. And they just approved the use of silencers while hunting here in texas.

This model will be new to me since im used to 223 being in the older SF actions.

I know theres some good compensators out there that are meant for AR's so ill have to start.looking around to see whats reasonable in price and function.

Brian