PDA

View Full Version : Axis magnum?

muttdog
04-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Is turning an axis / edge into a magnum caliber possible? i know bolt head and barrel, but will the action hold up? ???

stomp442
04-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I would think the action would hold up fine. Might run into some magazine restrictions with the long heavy bullets in a magnum would be my only concern.

Fat Albert
04-15-2012, 01:29 PM
muttdog? what do you mean by magnum caliber? juat about every caliber(size of bore) has a cartrige that has the word MAGNUM in the name. Have you ever seen a Gibson 298x52mm Carcao Magnum? You need to be more exact on what you are asking about.

muttdog
04-15-2012, 06:50 PM
as in7mm win mag 300 win mag or 338 win mag. i am however aware that there are magnums assiociated with lots of calibers but i guess the better question would be, is there a difference in an action in .270 win or 30-06 and 7mm or 300 wm? like thickness or anything like that? i just dont want to attach a 300 wim mag barrel to ann action from a .270 and have the thing blow up in my face. I have noticed that axis and stevens do not offer a magnum chambering, there has to be a reason. it could just be subject to price but if anyone knows it would be helpful.

muttdog
04-15-2012, 07:16 PM
basically can I convert my .270 axis to a 300 wm ?

thirty06
04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Stevens are offered in 7 & 300 mag.

180pilot
04-18-2012, 03:27 PM
If there is a reason Savage is not making a magnum Axis, they are not telling us. They have told me that barrel shanks of Axis same as 110-111-116. I have converted Rems, Mod.70's from 30-06 to 300 mags. with just a chamber job and bolt face cut, but main concern is always feeding problems with staggered Mauser type magazine rails that have to be altered. Currently, I'm rechambering Axis 7mm-08 to .280 Ackley Improved. The Axis sheet metal center feed magazine lips will have to be bent open some to feed a fatter belted magnum cartridge case, and more for the Jeffery diameter. Question there being, will that metal bend before it cracks?? Axis long mag. is 3.520" inside length, so long enough for .300 Win at 3.340" C.O.L. As for the small barrel shank only situation, with Savage's concerns of an "over pressure event", I wouldn't go short Win mag. without some more consultations. I read some early Sav. WSM's were made on small shank, and I don't see a recall.. You will of course need at least a 24" barrel to take advantage of magnum case, and that contour will be heavier, making rifle front heavy with the factory stock I would believe. If you just want some real "sock" for Elk, Bear or Pig etc. out to 300 yds... and still keep a short fast handling rifle, I'd be eyeballing the .338-06, if you have a .270 length action, that would feed slicker then snot...and I think give one more round then a magnum... If very flat long range is what you are wanting on medium game, 300 Win mag is OK, except for recoil in light 6.5# Axis with factory stock..I think with the new high BC hunting bullets, the .264 Win mag would be back on my A list.. Most long range competitors going 6.5MM's (.264)..... recoil 19 ft. # in 8.5 lb. rifle vs. 26 ft. # for .300 win. 140 gr. vs. 180gr... For reference, .270 is 17# in 8 lb. rifle with 140gr., food for thought... depends a lot on where and what you want to harvest with it...and what makes you happy. ;D

Gmac5
04-30-2012, 07:10 AM
110actions have what some would call a third safty lug. The bolt handle when closed ,is in a machined recess in the receiver tang. The axis of course does not have this feature . That being said ,i ve not seen or experienced any lug set back using appropriate factory or equall reloads inthe 110 series or axis (yet) .
Hope this helps,
Gary

thomae
04-30-2012, 07:44 AM
The Axis sheet metal center feed magazine lips will have to be bent open some to feed a fatter belted magnum cartridge case, and more for the Jeffery diameter.
The Axis magazine is the standard Savage centerfeed magazine body with a different Axis baseplate/floorplate made out of a composite/plastic material. You may be able to use a standard Savage magnum mag box if it fits an existing Axis long action magazine baseplate.

I presume it would fit the axis, since my recollection is that normal savage baseplates are the same for factory long action and factory magnum magazines, but I've never tried it, so I don't know for certain. Anyone wish to confirm or deny my guess?

bootsmcguire
05-01-2012, 01:25 AM
normal savage baseplates are the same for factory long action and factory magnum magazines, but I've never tried it, so I don't know for certain. Anyone wish to confirm or deny my guess?[/color][/size]
Yup, switched a 300wm mag out to a 30-06. Normal Savage DBM and HFP bases are the same. Wouldn't be shocked if the Axis base fit too.