PDA

View Full Version : Crimped primers

cgeorgemo
04-13-2012, 04:55 PM
What are you using to remove the crimps from primped primer pockets?
How does it work for you?
Please share your experiences with me as soon I will finally have my .223 barrel mounted and ready to go.
I've been looking at some once fired brass to get started and a lot of it is crimped primers.

laportecharlie
04-13-2012, 05:20 PM
The best thing I have found is the Dillon tool. At about $100.00 it's a bit pricey but nothing I have used even comes close. RCBS makes a swage type tool also for around $35.00 but it is a distant second. If you are only doing a few cases (like a hundred or so) the cutter type hand tools will get the job done but they are really slow.

nrar15
04-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I'll second the Dillion if your doing a lot of brass. I used my RCBS case perp center with the deburing tool for years. I have the RCBS swaging tool but have never used it yet.

Balljoint
04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
I have the RCBS swage tool Once you have it set up and get a rhythm things will go fast and a hundred cases will be done in no time

bythebook
04-13-2012, 11:17 PM
I used my RCBS case perp center with the deburing tool for years.

I use either the deburring tool on my RCBS or Hornady prep center also and it works well.

justin1098
04-14-2012, 02:13 AM
I just use my redding rocket style chamfer tool chucked in a drill. It works great and its free. Its quicker than the rcbs tool also.

rjtfroggy
04-14-2012, 06:45 AM
I have to agree with Balljoint.
My only suggestion is go on ebay where someone is selling large and small rods that are harder than the rcbs ones. I bent a few stock ones so I bought the aftermarket and no problems after that.Also got the RCBS tool on there for $15 so check there first.

sniper15545
04-14-2012, 06:46 AM
+ one on the Dillon.

GaCop
04-14-2012, 06:51 AM
I've used the Dillon for more than 15 years and wouldn't think of using anything else.

Eric in NC
04-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Used them all - the RCBS swage tool is a POS in my opinion (too easy to ruin cases and/or pinch fingers). A deburring tool removes too much metal for me to be comfortable.

If you just have 50-100 at a time to do the Hornady cutter type tool is fine (chuck it in to a cordless screwdriver and go to town).

If you have a lot to do or are in it for the long haul, nothing compares to the Dillion tool. Precision, easy to use, lasts forever, quick...

Grit #1
04-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Most military brass primer flash holes are punched. The punching process leaves a sprue on the inside of the case. Using the Dillon Swage Tool folds this sprue down obstructing the primer flash hole (as much as 60%) making for erratic ignition. I do not recommend the Dillion Swage Tool for this reason. I own one and discovered this problem about 20 years ago. I have, three times now, explained this problem to the folks at Dillon and they have done nothing to correct the problem. All that is needed is a little tit (like a transfer punch point) turned into the end of the mandril. This gives the flash hole a point to ride on and when the case is swaged the sprue is folded away from the flash hole. Kind of looks like a flower. I made an adapter to with a point, just like a transfer punch, that slides over the end of the 30 cal mandril, uses a small set screw to hold it in place, for swaging .45 auto brass works like a champ!!. I was going to turn new mandrils for both small and large rifle cases, but never got around to it. You could use the Dillion tool followed by using a flash hole debarring tool or a #2 center drill, but that is an extra step. I now cut all rifle crimps out with some form of cutter powered by a drill, cordless screwdriver, or most times the lathe.
Best regards,
Grit

thomae
04-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Hey grit,
I never thought about what the swager does to the primer hole sprue. I always deburr my primer holes whenever I get new (to me) brass. It is an extra operation, but you only have to do it once.

However, since you mentioned you have a lathe....
Have you given any thought to purchasing something like this set of Harbor Freight transfer punches (http://www.harborfreight.com/28-piece-transfer-punch-set-3577.html) and then cutting & threading the one(s) with the appropriate diameter to use as the anvil(s) for your Dillon Swager?

If you are like me, you really need an additional project. ::)
Cheers,

Grit #1
04-15-2012, 07:00 PM
It is on the list of things to do; however, cutting thr crimp is just as fast and just as accurate as swaging so I never got around to it.
Best regards,
Grit

lesloan
04-18-2012, 12:51 PM
I use a C-H swage kit. IMO it's every bit as good as the Dillon at about 1/3 the price. Very quick and totally effective.

http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/priming/419000

thomae
04-18-2012, 04:56 PM
I use a C-H swage kit. IMO it's every bit as good as the Dillon at about 1/3 the price. Very quick and totally effective.

http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/priming/419000

I have not seen that swager. Interesting.....
I looked at the page for the CH4D swager. Would you please post a quick blurb on how to use it because it is not fully apparent from the photo of the tool.

If I were to guess, I would say that it looks to me like you put the swaging punch in the ram and then screw the brass holder into the press where the die would go. The swager then goes through the brassholder into the primer pocket from the bottom. Is that correct?

FWIW, I own and have used both the RCBS and the Dillon swagers. They both work, they both have their pros and cons.. My only caveat is to use the RCBS type swager with a "O" type single stage press and not a "C" type. I cracked the main casting of a Lee "C" press by pushing too hard when swaging..