PDA

View Full Version : New to me 111

wiredgeorge
04-13-2012, 12:16 AM
I just traded a Ruger 22/45 MK III rimfire pistol for a Savage 111 in 30-06. I have never owned a Savage before so am taking some baby steps. I looked on the Savage website and don't see my model based on the appearance of the stock. It has wood furniture with a thumbhole and cheek carved on the butt, no optics/sights and a top-mount rail for a scope. The receiver and barrel are shiny black; perhaps blued?

While the furniture is wood, someone has taken a can of black Krylon to it so I am not sure what type wood it is. I would like to know what type wood is under the Krylon; if it is birch, it will likely stay that way but if it is hardwood, I likely refinish.

Can someone tell me how to ident the specific year of manufacture based on the serial number G520xxx? TIA (hope I am posting in the right forum area).

psharon97
04-13-2012, 02:13 AM
Was this model purchased brand new or used? From the person that you purchased the rifle from, did he tell you if the stock was from savage, or was the stock an aftermarket one? Are there any other mods done to the rifle? Examples may include an aftermarket trigger, action work, upgraded recoil lug.

Savage sometimes has special runs on rifles that have customizations to that run. Examples may include a different stock or a different trigger. The rifle you purchased/traded for may have been one of these. What has the seller said about this rifle?

wiredgeorge
04-13-2012, 08:30 AM
I was hoping that with the serial number, I could get some sort of idea. The fella who sold me the rifle had purchased it from a "kid" and only knew that the kid had painted the wood. No history.

rjtfroggy
04-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Go to the Savage web site, find the "parts finder " section in the store I think, put in the serial # and it should give you the model and maybe a picture. If it was a special run all bets are off.

sniper15545
04-14-2012, 06:44 AM
It sounds to me like someone may have put an after market stock on it, But the 111 is as good as any of the other models.

wiredgeorge
04-15-2012, 06:36 PM
It does shoot OK... I am not a great shooter but was shooting 3/4" groups at 50 yds and 1-1 1/2" groups at 100 yds from a rest using a 4x20-40 scope (inexpensive). The only downside is that the rifle has had the wooden furniture painted which really bugs me. I will rectify that issue soon. I am still confused about the difference between the 110 and 111 families... can someone set me straight? Also, how do I know if this rifle has an Accutrigger? The trigger is sort of a two-piece affair but I see no way it could be adjusted. FWIW: This rifle was manufactured in 2006 according to the support fella at Savage.