PDA

View Full Version : Rear Entry Action Wrench for Savage 16FCSS

iggy
12-02-2009, 06:17 AM
G'day All

I recently had my gunsmith put target barrels on Savage 16FCSS rifles. They do not use the barrel nut as their profile is considerably larger than the original barrels. I am in the process of getting a single shot Savage Target to use specifically for F Standard & F Open competition & need a rear entry action wrench to swap the barrels. I may be able to get my gunsmith to make me a wrench but his workload is such that this may take quite a long time. That is the downside of having a good gunsmith that makes great rifles & can win competitions with them ;D. I will keep my 16FCSS rifles & use them as switch barrel rifles [retaining the barrel nut of course :)].

Any suggestions for a rear entry action wrench that will fit the Savage 16FCSS & a distributor that will post it to Oz?

Thanks in advance

J.Baker
12-02-2009, 11:31 AM
If you're going to go with a rear-entry wrench, make sure it's plenty long to extend the full length of the action. There's been more than one person here who's twisted up an action by using one that only slides into the rear bridge area.

Cover Dog
12-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I have both a rear entry action wrench and a barrel vise from Bench-Source. Both are TOP SHELF products. Their steel action wrench that fits Savage,Remington,Ruger & others is product # 09-G-106.

Here is their info:

Vertex Mfg. Corp.
An ISO9001:2001 Company
8341 Industrial Dr.-P.O. Box 949
Olive Branch, Ms 38654

Tele: 662-895-0803
www.bench-source.com

iggy
12-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.

MrFurious - Very good point about having sufficient length...that was something I had not thought about.

Cover Dog - I will contact Bench-Source & see if I can get one from them & sent to Oz.

Regards

PS any other options are most welcome.

Thanks

AKArcherdaddy
12-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I just went to the Bench-Source website (via the link in the previous post) and they don't mention action wrenches of any kind, only custom scope bases. Did they maybe discontinue their rear-entry action wrenches?

Cover Dog
12-03-2009, 08:19 PM
They just started with the rear entry wrenches. Give them a call. They also don't show thier barrel vise. There is a pic of it on the 6mmBR web site.

geargrinder
12-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Here it is.

Real bad picture, but a great description and instructions.

Good price too.

http://www.grafs.com/product/294945

Dirk
12-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Here's the one I use, and it works great on my short action. It's pleanty long eough for a long action as well....
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/8362/Barrel-VisesWrenches

iggy
12-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks for all of the repsonses. I have left an email with Bench-Source & have added the rear entry action wrench to my Sinclairs Intl account. I will wait for a response from Bench-Source before proceeding.

Thanks again

Armed in Utah
12-04-2009, 09:24 AM
I use the Davidson wrench from Sinclair....

Along with the barrel vise from Sinclair as well......

And a pipe wrench for the new smooth barrel nut......