PDA

View Full Version : Action Screw Question

smax
04-11-2012, 10:30 AM
I have a Savage rifle that is a few years old, and I am about to pillar bed the stock and bed the action. The problem I have encountered is the the action screws were drilled slightly canted from the factory. They are canted just enough that when I tighten them they twist the barreled action enough that the barrel makes contact with the stock. If I tighten them and keep the barrel centered in the stock channel it will stay without over tightening.

What should I do to fix this? Take it to a smith or machinist and have the holes re-drilled? Bed the pillars to match the canted angle?

jhelmuth
04-11-2012, 12:13 PM
I think the only good solution is to (as you already mentioned) take it to a good smith where they can fill and properly re-thread the action so that it's straight.

nuclabuyer
04-11-2012, 12:31 PM
I would drill the holes a little over size for the new pillars. Then put the pillars onto the action like normal pillar bedding. Then when you remove the screws after the bedding material is dry, as long as the action was centered, the pillars should be straight.

smax
04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I would drill the holes a little over size for the new pillars. Then put the pillars onto the action like normal pillar bedding. Then when you remove the screws after the bedding material is dry, as long as the action was centered, the pillars should be straight.

I think I will try this. Thanks for the input guys.

frank1947
04-11-2012, 10:12 PM
nuclabuyer, go with what he said , I had that issue and after putting pillars in and beddding problem solved