PDA

View Full Version : SSS trigger adjustment

Csiebert
04-10-2012, 09:36 AM
I have a SSS trigger that I bought from a friend. I am looking for some info for the adjustments on it. I installed it and have got it pretty close but I am not 100% sure wich screws are doing what. Any setup info would be much appreciated.

Thanks Corey

Uncle Jack
04-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Have you tried e-mailing SSS and asking them for instructions?

sshooter@wcoil.com

uj

Csiebert
04-10-2012, 12:19 PM
I will send him a email but I know he is very busy and will probably take a while to get back to me.

Uncle Jack
04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Lisa handles most of the e-mails and she usually gets back within 48 hours.

uj

Dennis
04-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Have you tried e-mailing SSS and asking them for instructions?

Do you have the competition trigger or the Evolution trigger?

Csiebert
04-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Evolution

cgeorgemo
04-11-2012, 01:11 AM
From top to bottom
Over travel
Pull Weight
Engagement

This is based on a picture on the SSS website. Take a look and see for yourself.

Uncle Jack
04-11-2012, 03:30 AM
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/EvolutionTrigger.html

uj

Dennis
04-11-2012, 07:43 AM
The Evolution Triggers are VERY delicate! But they are easy to adjust, take yuur time. You have to get all three adjustment in sync! I have three of them, adjusted all three, just took my time and got them down to 3 or 4 oz's.

Dennis

82boy
04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
If you just bought an Evolution trigger from a friend, you may have some problems installing the trigger, do to the verible tolerences in the Savage action, the trigger can only be installed by SSS into a gun that was Timed and Trued by SSS. You need to contact SSS, and ship them you action, and trigger, to be installed.

Csiebert
04-11-2012, 11:07 AM
How do you know this ? I installed mine it did require a little honing but it looks like its gonna work very well without the time an true job. (as good as this rifle shoots I wouldnt even consider a time an true job when the matches are going on.)

Thanks Corey

Csiebert
04-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Dennis you are correct they are very delicate I couldnt tell that trigger pull weight adjustment was doing anything its very fine. Anything is gonna be better than the Accu trigger as long as its reliable.

Stockrex
04-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Corey
It would be wise to listen to Patrick.
You could make it work but being prudent it worth it in my books.

82boy
04-11-2012, 12:03 PM
How do you know this ? Thanks Corey

O' I dont know, maybe I have a couple installed, and maybe I have switched one for one action to another.(Ben there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it.) Maybe I been to SSS a couple of times, Maybe because that is what Fred (Owner of SSS) will tell you. (It even printed on their web site.)

"For this system to work at the optimum level, the action must be trued and timed for the trigger. We have refined this process into a science. Like all science, every component factor can be given a value, whether in feet, inches, pounds, torque or resistance, something that can be calculated in a formula. When the component factors have the right numbers, the results are very predictable. For this reason, the Evolution trigger is only installed by us, in house." (Copied and past from the SSS website, under Evolution triggers.)

Csiebert
04-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Didn't mean to strike a nerve. You said I could not install the trigger only SSS could do it and make it work. Well I did it, is it as good as a SSS trued and timed, I personally have never pulled one but the one I installed is pretty good so yes it can be done. Is it a drop in like a timney or a jewel for a 700 action, no its not. I would send it to SSS in a second but I am using the rifle for FTR comps and dont have a spare because it will likely be months before I would get it back.

Dennis
04-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Didn't mean to strike a nerve. You said I could not install the trigger only SSS could do it and make it work. Well I did it, is it as good as a SSS trued and timed, I personally have never pulled one but the one I installed is pretty good so yes it can be done.

Corey, I am sorry I didn't pick up you bought this trigger from a friend.

As I stated, their very delicate! Don't take any responses in the wrong way. It's good advice coming from some of the best shooters here. If I would have picked up your installing the trigger you bought from a friend, I to would have told you to have SSS T&T the action and install the trigger just as "I" did on the three I now own and currently have another one on order!

I as well as 82boy and others know that thousandths is critical with the Savage Action and Evolution Trigger! If you did just "drop" your Evolution trigger in and it worked, I would have to say that's luck! I will have to state it cannot be perfect. You might not be able to see or feel it, but after about 300 or so rounds, you will wonder what's going on with my action and trigger.

I would still have the action T&T by SSS. Mainly, just for the simple fact I use my index finger to load and unload the bullets! SSS has this procedure downpat! I was a few thousandths off on one of my actions and had to send it in as I wasn't as lucky as you!

I just went by the topic "SSS Trigger Adjustment" and asked which one you had and gave my opinion!

Dennis
04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
it will likely be months before I would get it back.

PS: I can tell you for a fact, SSS doesn't like any actions sitting around. They usually process the actions pretty quick and get them back to you.

How do I know?

Been there, done that! ;)

Csiebert
04-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Are we talking weeks or months on turnaround time ?

cgeorgemo
04-11-2012, 10:04 PM
SSS has a low turn around time.
What they have that makes everyone say it takes a while to get it done is a waiting period.
They put you on a list and contact you when it is time to ship the rifle to them.
The wait time depends on how many jobs Fred has in line before you.

Dennis
04-11-2012, 10:13 PM
They put you on a list and contact you when it is time to ship the rifle to them.
The wait time depends on how many jobs Fred has in line before you.

The above is true.

Actions are handled differently, even if you sent a barreled action just for trigger/bolt work, it should be done pretty quick compared to everything else.

T&T'n an action and installing a Evolution trigger doesn't take them that much time. They do make appt's for them, but the turnaround time is fairly quick!

Stocks take the most time! BUT, they are nice when you get them!