PDA

View Full Version : Should I bed this stock?

Chibbert
04-09-2012, 09:49 PM
I picked up a model 12 btv (non ss) and the barrel free floats all the way to the barrel nut. Do these laminate thumb holes still need bedded?

82boy
04-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Yes!

cgeorgemo
04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I picked up a model 12 btv (non ss) and the barrel free floats all the way to the barrel nut. Do these laminate thumb holes still need bedded?

I would bed the recoil lug at a minimum and probably skim bed the entire action, less the tang, if it was mine. I've got almost the same stock from Boyds and after installing pillars I went ahead and bedded the action as well as the recoil lug.

davemuzz
04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
If it's currently shooting one hole groups.....why fool with perfection? If not, then bed it. Like others have stated, don't bed the tang, don't bed the nut, and for the recoil lug, just the rear. Put a few pieces of tape on the sides and front of the recoil lug...and apply your release agent "liberally". ;D

ellobo
04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
"liberally?

Come on Dave, lets keep p0litics out of this ;D

El Lobo

davemuzz
04-10-2012, 06:28 PM
"liberally?

Come on Dave, lets keep p0litics out of this ;D

El Lobo

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ;D ;) :D

frank1947
04-11-2012, 10:24 PM
bed it , if only recoil lug, I do not do as
davemuzz i do not put tape on the sides and recently i use no tape just use the release agent and it will be really nice and tight all most as good as a glue in, you will really have to wack it to get it out , i wack it on the soft sofa arm.

ellobo
04-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Mill or file a taper on the sides of the lug. Bed it and you wont have to wack it very hard to get it out.
Once out file a small amount off the bottom so it never bottoms out.
El Lobo

frank1947
04-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Mill or file a taper on the sides of the lug. Bed it and you wont have to wack it very hard to get it out.
Once out file a small amount off the bottom so it never bottoms out.
El Lobo

doing that would ruin what you try to accomplish by bedding , tight tight fit, I would just devcon it in for good if i could still remove trigger if needed or barrel but you cant

cwop
04-12-2012, 08:36 AM
ok dave time for a cartoon in rebuttal!!!

bob

cgeorgemo
04-12-2012, 10:21 AM
doing that would ruin what you try to accomplish by bedding , tight tight fit, I would just devcon it in for good if i could still remove trigger if needed or barrel but you cant

When I bed my actions I make sure to keep the bottom of the recoil lug from touching because I want all the stress from the screws on the pillars and the bottom of the action. I want the back of the recoil lug to fit snug but not the slanting sides or bottom. One layer of electricians tape is sufficient to the purpose.

davemuzz
04-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Yes.....if the bottom or sides of the lug are touching the stock....this will give your barrel inconsistent vibrations...and thus....inconsistent groupings.

The ghost of Savage past told me this in a dream. Yeah.....Uh Huh.....Un Huh!!!

ellobo
04-12-2012, 04:10 PM
If the taper is bedded you wont get movement. And keeping the bottom free of the stock has always been recommended in this forum to my recollection.

El Lobo

Chibbert
04-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies.