PDA

View Full Version : How light can you make a LA Savage with 24" barrel?

Pages : 1 [2]

stangfish
04-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Add another 1.5 oz per inch of barrel length over 20" if you want a longer custom FW barrel.

You must be talking carbon fiber.

jpdown
04-13-2012, 12:08 AM
The 1.5 oz per inch estimate is based on my experience with CM and SS barrels. I had Sinman cut and recrown a 22" .308 Savage sporter barrel to 20" and a 24" .260 A&B barrel to 22". The weight of both barrels was reduced by approximately 2 oz per inch removed. Sinman also made a 22" FW contour barrel in .260 for another Savage LW build. This barrel tipped the scale at 2 lbs 0.5 oz. So 32.5 oz divided by 22" gives you 1.48 oz per inch of barrel which I rounded up to the 1.5 oz per inch estimate in my origional reply above. It is tough to get below 7 lbs using a standard Savage action, barrel, stock, and scope. But at the time I attempted these LW builds, the Savage LWH was not available. You can easily get to a 6.5 lb scoped truck/carry rifle with the Savage LWH.

nsaqam
04-13-2012, 01:41 AM
My experience also shows that you lose under 2 ounces per inch of barrel length removed.
That's one of the reasons I prefer a longer barrel and why I feel cutting a barrel for weight purposes is foolish.
Cutting for balance is another thing entirely.

As for getting under 7 pounds with a 24" barreled LA Savage, I'm going to give it a heck of a shot.
With a fluted #2 and a fluted bolt, the Leupold Ultralight in Talley's, and a 6.5mm bore all set into a Mickey EDGE I think I'll be DARN close.

stangfish
04-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Two testimonials is good enogh for me. I am sure contour and caliber are factors here gut based on the math and numbers provided I am convinced. I think the balance is where my head was.

358Hammer
04-14-2012, 11:21 AM
My wifes 338 weighs in at 6.2 pounds including 3-12 Burris scope and EGW base and Rings.

The largest weight cut was a contoured extremely light 19" (plus brake) tapered 338 bore Benchmark stainless barrel. I took the most weight cut from both inside and outside the barrel!
#2 weight cut was the bolt fluting plus ultra-light bolt handles are plentiful.

The 6.5 WSM weighs exactly 14 oz heavier with everything else being equal. The external barrel is exactly the same as they can not contour any lighter.
I checked into a carbon Fiber barrel and at $800.+ for the barrel I passed.

I would call Scott Null and purchase his 20 oz Ultra-light stock though.

Neal

nsaqam
04-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks Hammer, that's what I wanted to hear.
I sent an email to Benchmark barrels inquiring as to how light they could make me a SS 24" 6mm to 7mm barrel. I'm anxiously awaiting their response.
I also looked at Scott Null's Ultra Lightweight stocks and I believe I'll be sticking with a McMillan EDGE which come in all up at 24 ounces.
My scope and ringmounts will be substantially lighter than yours however so my weight may be very close to your 6.5WSM.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that I can come in at an ounce or two on either side of 7 pounds all up (no sling).

Do you have a source for ultra light bolt handles you could point me to?

Thanks again Sir!

358Hammer
04-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Just for comparison or something to think about.

I have a 26" 300 RUM barrel that is factory tapered contour and is quite light tapered. weight 2.75 pounds

There are any number off guys on here that have and or sell bolt handles. Jim Briggs@Northland, Kevin Rayhill http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/testimonials.html, Fred on here. There are much more knowledgable guys that keep track of the after market stuff better than I do.

Ask Chris @ Benchmark if he is still offering carbon Fiber barrels. I am pretty sure that a standard steel 6.5-7mm 24" barrel is going to weight 2.5 pounds at it's lightest.