PDA

View Full Version : Scope mounting

hlesley
04-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Last year I bought a 110 Predator Hunter Max 1 in 6.5x284 Norma. I put Burris Signature Zee Rings on the bases that came with the rifle. I had to put a 20 insert in both the front and back rings to stay close to the optical center for windage. I did not think too much about it, maybe the holes were a little off.
This year I bought a 11 Light Weight Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought Warne Maxima 2 piece bases for it. I again used Burris Signature Zee rings and I ran into the same problem. I had to use a 20 insert in both rings. I have used these rings with weaver style bases on several rifles and I have not needed this much adjustment, maybe a 5 or 10 insert in one ring to stay close to optical center.
Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks

Herman.

hlesley
04-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Hasn't anyone had a problem like this or is it just me?

barrel-nut
04-15-2012, 12:17 PM
We've probably all ran into something like that before. Could be caused by many different things. Most likely the holes in the bases are not drilled straight, or the bases have filister-style screws that allow some wiggle room when they're installed. Could also be just that several different items affecting scope mounting were slightly off-spec, and they just happened to all "stack" in the same direction.
My best guess would be that the bases are not on straight. Take the scope off, slightly loosen the base screws, and see if they can be moved around any at all. If so, move them in the desired direction and retighten. It doesn't take much to effect a large amount of change at 100 yds. Remount the scope and bore sight to see if you've done any good.

cgeorgemo
04-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Or replace the bases with a set of windage adjustable ones since the allignment problem is side to side.