PDA

View Full Version : sell me a stock!?

aimsmall
04-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Ok, I've looked into making my own and ill have to do a lot more homework before I give that a try. So to all the sponsors/vendors and/or die hard fans of your brand sell me on why I should buy your product of choice. This will be for a new build, so b&c, boyds, stockade, choate? I doubt anyone could encourage me enough to drop the cash on manners or mcmillan... but give it a try.

airaddict
04-08-2012, 06:35 PM
I like boyds.......the feel good and are priced right. I do wish they had an option to come with pillars installed or at least drilled out for pillars so all i would have to do is epoxy bed the rifle and or pillars and be done.

Brian

thomae
04-08-2012, 07:04 PM
::)

To provide better answers, please answer the following:
What kind of rifle will you be building?
What will the purpose of your rifle be?
What research have you done?
What are your preferences in a rifle stock?
What specific stock-related questions do you have?

As for trying to sell you a stock, I honestly don't think that anyone on this forum really cares what stock you get. We would all like you to be happy, yes, but different people like different stocks for different reasons, and we all respect that. People will tell you what they like or don't like, but that is a far cry from trying to "sell" you a stock.

Again, If you would be so kind as to provide some amplifying details, we can provide opinions based on our respective experience.

The vendors, of course, would like you to purchase their merchandise, but they neither have the time nor the inclination to do the "hard sell" on this forum. More often than not, when they do chime in, they are recommending something that doesn't necessarily bring them direct business. Sometimes they will let us know when they have something available that may solve a particular problem, but I have no recollection of any of them trying to "sell" their product. They get our business because they offer good products at an honest price and all seem to be genuinely nice individuals and companies with which to deal.

Bottom line: Until we know the purpose of your rifle, what you want, (your goals), I don't think we can help you very much.

bootsmcguire
04-08-2012, 11:09 PM
I gotta go with thomae on this one. What purpose are you building rifle for?

As far as a very generic answer, I would say as an affordable, do-all, good feeling stock my vote goes to the B&C Duramaxx. It is kind of the Jack of All Trades, and does well in most hunting and shooting situations.

aimsmall
04-08-2012, 11:26 PM
I probably could have phrased it a little better than sell me a stock but hey it is what it is. As to specifics, its going to be based on a stevens 200 short action in .260 rem. It will be used for hunting (deer and varmints) as well as paper punching. The main goal being to have the most precise rifle I can with what my budget allows. I don't have a lot of prefrance to aftermarket stock as im not too experienced with them... I've only handled a few. What I do like is more of a pistol grip than a traditional stock and I don't want it to weigh too much although some heft wouldn't hurt I suppose. I also like the high comb minus them feeling a bit awkward when offhand shooting. Colors don't matter as I like to paint my own. And I would also like to apologize for sounding like a newb.

tinkerer
04-08-2012, 11:48 PM
For a bolt in accurate stock with a minimum of bedding, I like the Choate family. A little heavy, but already have the aluminum bedding block, so no bedding needed for good use. And has sling studs and bipdo rail built in too. Composite ready for paint.

Worth what you paid.

Larry
Tinkerer

nuclabuyer
04-09-2012, 10:53 AM
It might just be me, but I really like Mcmillan stocks. I have 3 A-5's, and just ordered an F-Class. Generally for all around stock I like the A-5's. For hunting I would go with an edge A-5 or a more tradition hunting style stock in the edge series for low weight. I might try a manners on my next one, havent decided yet.

aimsmall
04-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Let's say I could be patient enough to save the extra funds for a mcmillan or manners, are they really worth the extra couple hundred bucks?

Dennis
04-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Aimsmall,

First, tell me what bolt pattern (spacing) will you need.

Most Precision Target Actions are 3.44 or 4.44 spacing with 3 bolts. Stock savages have a common 4.25 spacing, 2 bolts. Some are 4.40, 2 bolts.

I have several stocks ready to go depending on the spacing!

You also listed Stockade as one of your "affordable" stocks! There in line with Manners & McMillian last I checked!

I am not a dealer, just reducing my personal inventory!

Blue Avenger
04-09-2012, 07:06 PM
As to specifics, its going to be based on a stevens 200 short action in .260 rem.

aimsmall
04-09-2012, 08:31 PM
If by I were to get a stockade id finish it myself, last price check was 235 for the prairie tactical. Id like to stay around that price but if the cost is really worth it id consider spending more. For example I saw the HTG from mcmillan, while it looks cool the price is steep. I know "you get what you pay for", but I believe that only goes so far before you start paying for a name.

Dennis
04-09-2012, 10:38 PM
As to specifics, its going to be based on a stevens 200 short action in .260 rem.

I hate to ask this question, but is the above 4.25 or 4.40 bolt spacing? DBM or blind mag?

nuclabuyer
04-10-2012, 01:08 AM
I believe they are worth the money. Are they worth the money to you, only you can decide. Depending on what kind of stock you want, whether it be a tactical, benchrest or hunting, makes a big difference in price. I bought a bell and carlson tactical medalist for 250 after shipping. I can buy a mcmillan in the color I want, the LOP that I want, the features I want. It costs a little more money, hunting stock are 518 at some places. But I get a stock that has less flex, the right camo pattern or colors to fit my needs. You can go to the manners website and go to the stock builder and see what it would cost you and see if it is what you want. Or you can go to the 24hourcampfire website and go to the gear shop and build a mcmillan. It all depends on you and what you think you want in the gun.

aimsmall
04-10-2012, 02:27 AM
@Dennis its a 4.40" blind mag, although I kinda like the idea of a dbm