PDA

View Full Version : Going to get a progressive press setup for handguns, need feedback!

Pages : 1 [2]

davemuzz
04-15-2012, 04:58 PM
I "can" use my LNL for reloading my 6.5 Swede, my 7-30 Waters, 45-70, 308, and a few other calibers that I shoot. But I like to load these up on my single stage and "feel" the primers seat....and I charge the powders with my RCBS electronic powder drop, and I seat the bullets with either a RCBS Micro seater or a Redding Micro seater. I think I get better, more consistent loads with a single stage press on the bottle neck cartridges. If I had a Dillon, I wouldn't use the Dillon on these bottle neck's either.

The progressives are great for loading up "stuff" that you shoot a bunch of. And I shoot a bunch of 45acp, 44-Mag, .223's, 357's. The product these machines produce are good, and the time I spend at the bench is far less than it would be using a single stage. And that means more time to shoot....'cause I got more ammo to shoot!!!! ;D

Dave

brtelec
04-15-2012, 05:07 PM
I agree. The progressives are for reloading in bunches. I "handload" everything for my rifles on a Forster Co-ax single stage. I "handload" 357,44 and 454 all at max or near max loads on a Redding Turret. I "reload" 40 S&W on a Dillon.

andrewst35
04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I was in the same boat. I couldn't afford the Dillon so decided on a Lee Loadmaster. I'll admit I had problems but one quick call to Lee and free parts were in the mail. I only load 40 S&W and 45 ACP. My 308 is reloaded on a single stage. No matter what you choose any of them can give you hassles.

EFBell
04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Dillon, no question. I have one of the original 450's since 1984. never had an issue with it except for a couple of broken primer seating pins.

davemuzz
04-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Well.....not to bash LEE products as I have a lot of their stuff and a lot of what they sell is good, but their progressive presses are a fine example of "you get what you pay for." A good shootin buddy of mine bot one way back in the day and used it for about a year. I used it a few times, and honestly, compared to a Dillon (which is what he replaced his Lee with) or my Hornady, it's like driving a '62 VW Beetle vs a 2011 Porsche. They will both get you there.....but man.....what a difference!!!

Dave

Trent
04-17-2012, 10:56 PM
It comes down to how much a person wants to spend. Period. Pick your price point and go for it.

Folks that say "Dillon, no question." or "The only choice is Dillon" are not speaking with an open mind and are just pushing their choice as the "only" choice. No brand is perfect, including Dillon. Do you get what you pay for, absolutely. If you need top of the line tools and can afford it go with Dillon. If you are budget minded, go with LEE. If you are both budget minded and want top quality tools, go with Hornady. They all produce ammunition at a higher rate than single stage turrets. They all break down and they all wear out. Are they equal, hell no. Make an educated decision based on the info out there and don't look back.

mugsie
04-18-2012, 06:54 AM
I use a Dillon 550B I purchased many years ago and it goves me great service. I also use it as a single stage at times for rifle. I also have a Lee Turret as wwell as an old Herters, which I use for my precision stuff.

I think any of todays progressives will give you all that you're looking for. They're like cars, every one a different design, some get you there a little faster, some a little slower, some are nice to look at and some you want to hine in your garage, but ya know what? They all get you to your destination. It's only a matter of how much comfort you want and what you're willing to pay.

I know I didn't give you a direct answer, but I don't believe there is one - get one you can afford and learn how to use it and you won't be disappointed.

Good luck and stay safe....

Trent
04-18-2012, 06:33 PM
I think that is spot on advice Mugsie.

SMK Shoe
04-18-2012, 09:43 PM
when I first went progressive, I had two lee 1000. one for 45 and one for 40. Once set up ( painful) and left alone they would usually load without much problem. When finances allowed a up grade. Dillion 650 was bolted to the bench. Lots of ammo loaded with no real issues. Can easily change powder loads, bullet and seating depth on the fly. Now I have two 650's bolted to the bench. One dedicated to 45 ACP and one for everything else ( 223 rem, 6.5 grendel, 9mm, 40 S+W ).

Get the best you can afford, better quality machine you get the less time you'll have to fiddle with it to produce good ammo.

P.S. I havn't touched the setting for the 45 ACP in about two and a half years and about 25,000 rounds

thomae
04-18-2012, 10:31 PM
It's not my ad, and I don't know if its sold...but its a good price for Dillon 550B. I ought to jump on it, but I already have 2 and should leave some good deals to folks like you who are just getting into things. :D
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1630366

Rick_W
04-19-2012, 01:44 PM
It's not my ad, and I don't know if its sold...but its a good price for Dillon 550B. I ought to jump on it, but I already have 2 and should leave some good deals to folks like you who are just getting into things. :D
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1630366

Damn! He's only asking $350 and says "no low-ball offers". :o

If anyone offers less than that they should be caned!

I wish I had not commited to the used 550 I am currently waiting on - I'd jump on it.

However, I am getting a 550 set up for .40 S&W (with RCBS carbide dies); conversion kits for 9mm, .38 Special, & .45 ACP; and toolheads with dies for 9mm, .38 Special, .45 ACP, & .223 Rem. - for $550.

Big Old Boy
04-22-2012, 12:38 PM
my sons use a hornady LNL and I gave my lee away to a friend POS. the lee not the friend.

jonbearman
04-30-2012, 09:45 AM
I have tried them all over the years and keep going back to dillon for progressive work. The hornady would be my second choice and they are really nice for the money.