PDA

View Full Version : brake for a 6mm

Pages : [1] 2

1jonzmith
04-07-2012, 04:08 AM
I am having trouble finding a suitable brake/suppressor.

Can anyone provide advice or link me to reference material?

Thanks,

John

243LPR
04-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Sorry.If it needs a brake, I don't shoot it.

Mbarnes72
04-07-2012, 09:46 AM
How about Shrewd brake at Brownells, they sell many other brands as well

nsaqam
04-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Unless you're doing a brake to facilitate the viewing of bullet strikes I see no earthly reason why any 6mm needs a brake.

I'll always recommend Brownells over all other suppliers.

82boy
04-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Do you want a break, or a suspressor as they are different?

Sharp Shooters Supply, has put many hours of research, experimentation, and developement into their breaks. They have tested competators breaks, on their testing device.

For information try searching "muzzel break" on google, this site, and other area.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzle_brakes.htm

Sorry.If it needs a brake, I don't shoot it.

All I can say is you dont have a clue what you missing, even the smallest of caliber greatly benifits from a break, and even more so that big calibers. Try shooting a 223 rem, 204 ruger, or a 22/250 with a break and see if you still make that same statement.

Unless you're doing a brake to facilitate the viewing of bullet strikes I see no earthly reason why any 6mm needs a brake.

All I can say is once you try it you will see the need. It makes things more pleasent to shoot. My 6x47 Lapua has a break ,and it has less recoil than my 6BR. One of the reasons I built a 6BR is because I wanted less recoil than my 6x47l, and it did untill I put a good break on my 6x47L. I would say that the gun weighin in a 17 lbs with a break, has about the same recoil as a a light weight 22LR.

nsaqam
04-07-2012, 10:21 AM
My 6x47 (6mm-.222 Rem Mag) Kimber weighs under 6.5 pounds all up loaded full and the recoil is nil.

I stand by my assertion.

A 17 pound 6mm rifle!
With a brake!
You have got to be kidding me!

243LPR
04-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Not to mention the extra noise. My guns are for hunting,not the range w/3 layers of ear protection.

82boy
04-07-2012, 11:42 AM
A 17 pound 6mm rifle!
With a brake!

A lot of people are doing the exact same thing, Trust me once you shoot one, you will have to have one.

nsaqam
04-07-2012, 12:29 PM
A 17 pound 6mm rifle!
With a brake!

A lot of people are doing the exact same thing, Trust me once you shoot one, you will have to have one.

I'll never own a 17 pound rifle if any stripe except maybe a Barrett .50BMG.

As a matter of fact since I got my flyweight Kimber, 8.5+ pound rifles have lost ALL their appeal to me.
Just parted out my 9 pound Savage .280AI for that very reason.
7.5 pounds is tops for me from here on out.

tyler.woodard04
04-07-2012, 01:34 PM
I hunt with brakes guns. I also wear electronic muffs while hunting anything.

jonbearman
04-07-2012, 01:36 PM
I run the Vais brakes and like them alot and dont blow your ears out.His design is unique and it works. Brownells sells them.

Cycler
04-08-2012, 08:06 PM
My 6x47 (6mm-.222 Rem Mag) Kimber weighs under 6.5 pounds all up loaded full and the recoil is nil.

I stand by my assertion.

A 17 pound 6mm rifle!
With a brake!

OK, shoot your 6.5 pound rifle 200 rounds in one afternoon from either a bench or prone and then come back and we'll discuss how nil the recoil really was.

airaddict
04-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Ive used a shrewd brake from brownells. They do work good and a good portion of the noise and gases are vented a bit forward instead of back at you like the savage factory braked 308 i owned once. I do enjoy shooting rifles more with brakes but prefer to set up a rifle so that its removable just incase i want to remove it for some bench work or if im shooting close to other in a few shoots we do at the gun club. Being able to watch the bullet splash or watch the vapor trail at longer ranges is a trip. I love it.

Brian

stevec
04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
6mm remington is the king for breaks! I built one for my son when he was 12, built a break and installed it. The diference with the break screwed on is amazing! The more gas available, the better the break will reduce recoil.

I tried several different styles(very non-scientific) and found that the quicker the gas is released the beter it reduces recoil. Bigger holes=better reduction.

I cant speak for any brand because I have only used ones I made but I have heard good things about Vias.

When you get that 6 Rem breaked you will love it!

Steve

nsaqam
04-08-2012, 09:22 PM

I stand by my assertion.

A 17 pound 6mm rifle!
With a brake!

OK, shoot your 6.5 pound rifle 200 rounds in one afternoon from either a bench or prone and then come back and we'll discuss how nil the recoil really was.

There is also no earthly reason for me to shoot my Kimber 200 times in one afternoon when I can complete all of my load development with 50 rounds tops.
I don't shoot competition and I never allow my barrels to get hot. Not enough time in an afternoon to shoot 200 rounds.
Hey, if a braked, 17 pound 6mm floats your boat more power to you.
Unless it's a .50BMG I'll never own a braked rifle.
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/nsaqam/KimberMinox8.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/nsaqam/Kimber848.jpg

DarnYankee
04-08-2012, 10:29 PM
I had a Shrewd brake installed this year on my 300win mag. It has done a great job on frelt recoil and the noise is not much more than an unbraked 300win mag. At the range a few weeks ago I had several people give me the "please don't shoot that thing next to me" After telling them it was gonna be ok and after I take a couple shots if they are still uncomfortable I will wait till they leave or go to the far end away from them. After 3 shots there was a crowd and a line of people wanting to shoot it. It has less recoil than my 308. It was the best $160 [installed] I have spent.
Get one and enjoy.

Blue Avenger
04-09-2012, 08:45 AM
.220 swift is another light recoiler that becomes awesome with at brake. The muscel brake is another that is reported to work well.

Cycler
04-09-2012, 07:35 PM
There is also no earthly reason for me to shoot my Kimber 200 times in one afternoon when I can complete all of my load development with 50 rounds tops.
I don't shoot competition and I never allow my barrels to get hot. Not enough time in an afternoon to shoot 200 rounds.
Hey, if a braked, 17 pound 6mm floats your boat more power to you.
Unless it's a .50BMG I'll never own a braked rifle.
You missed my point. Perhaps you shoot only a few rounds at a time and then at moderate intervals and the cumulative recoil doesn't bother you. That's fine but there are many shooters who fire long strings during competition and for whom even modest recoil eventually becomes an issue. For them a muzzle brake on even a relativly light kicking rifle is a benefit. You can't generalize your experience and preferences to everyone.

nsaqam
04-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Seems as though nearly everyone who responded to the OP assumes the OP is firing competition.
Nowhere does he give any indication of what type of shooting he intends to do.
Therefore my observation that if he wants a brake to facilitate the viewing of bullet strikes then he should look to Brownells is every bit as valid as any other response.
I'm just a lowly hunter who has become fed up with carrying heavy rifles and will no longer do so.
Seems the vast majority of people here want heavy rifles with truck axle size barrels, hence the non-response to my questions about making a Savage lightweight. Nobody here does lightweight.

Blue Avenger
04-09-2012, 08:18 PM
really don't matter what he is doing. He wants to know about brakes that work.