PDA

View Full Version : brake for a 6mm

Pages : 1 [2]

bootsmcguire
04-09-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm just a lowly hunter who has become fed up with carrying heavy rifles and will no longer do so.
Seems the vast majority of people here want heavy rifles with truck axle size barrels, hence the non-response to my questions about making a Savage lightweight. Nobody here does lightweight.
I can't speak for the everyone, but I guess I assumed that most people that look at brakes plan on an elevated volume of shooting. Most hunters (excluding prairie doggers and the like) do not shoot their hunting rigs in high volume as you stated is your case with your Kimber. So like you said a majority of people shooting 6mm cartridges would not opt for a brake on their hunting rig due to the added length and noise. So all that being said it would be logical to jump to the conclusion that the OP was talking about a gun that would be used in a higher volume of shooting, and most people who build bolt action rifles for high volume shooting go with a heavier barrel to help with barrel distortion due to added heat of the higher quantity of shot being fired. So logic says he probably has a heavier gun.

As to your statement of "Nobody here does Lightweight", do a search here and look through past threads and you will see that when Savage came out with the lightweight hunter model there was quite a buzz around here about lightweight rifles and tricks to shave weight. Just because nobody has jumped at the chance to post on your thread does not mean that there is no interest. I myself have been thinking of using one of my extra actions to build a 20" or less lighter-weight rifle for easy carry on my ATV and in my truck. I just had no knowledge to contribute to your thread at that time.

hence the non-response to my questions about making a Savage lightweight.
I'm sorry you feel you are being ignored. Here I will post up a link here so everyone following this thread can see your question and give their 2 cents if they so choose.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,49829.msg341619.html#msg341619

really don't matter what he is doing. He wants to know about brakes that work.
+1

nsaqam
04-09-2012, 09:10 PM
really don't matter what he is doing. He wants to know about brakes that work.

Agreed.

1jonzmith
04-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Gentlemen...Gentlemen,

I truly appreciate ALL the comments and information. Really I do. Even the somewhat dismissive and negative sounding comments were of use to me. Your info on choices and sources and other info was really a lot of "news" to me.

This brake will be installed on a Target Action...one inch Bull barrel...6mm BR.....Boyd's stock. Barrel will be 15 inches long and despite it being a heavy bull it will jump around a lot. I don't like to "chase after" my gun after every shot. :o I have seen film of a Striker that is nearly identical to the one I am building and it moved a LOT on the bags. A bungee cord tamed it some and improved the groups. He uses a brake and despite that brake being high quality, I think a brake should perform better.

My only experience with brakes is on assault rifles in 7.62 X 39. The brake I use there is effective in that the barrel drops/dips after a shot. Recoil is in the 22LR category. Some have said that the bigger the ports a brake has the better it will work. I agree with that as a really big brake discharge will eliminate forward traveling gases so there will be no recoil from that action. Problem is we need some gas pressure to vent in the vertical to eliminate muzzle "flip". My vertical ports are ahead of the horizontal ones so I get lots of pressure and gas flow prior to the gases being fully vented to the sides. I know what superb braking is cause I have a model that works.

My thought is that a brake for a 6mm will have different dimension ports than one for a 7.62 other than the bore.

Thank you all,

John

snowgetter1
04-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I just had a Ross Schuler brake installed on my 243 Striker and it is great. I have a 17" varmint barrel and the gun is 9lbs but I can now watch bullet strikes. Yes it is loud but not much louder than an AR-15. After using this brake it works much better than the radial hole type.

nsaqam
04-10-2012, 05:12 PM
I hope you are building that on a Striker action or otherwise registering it as a handgun because a 15" barrel on a rifle is a felony.

The law states that firearms originally built as rifles must have a barrel length of at least 16" and a total length of at least 26" and they must be designed to be fired from the shoulder.

nsaqam
04-10-2012, 05:13 PM
You can turn a handgun into a rifle but it is VERBOTEN to turn a rifle into a handgun.

Corprin
04-10-2012, 05:36 PM
unless...

...the action was purchased as a bare action, and not specifically designated as a "long gun" on the 4472 box 18 when transferred to the OP.

...it is kept in rifle configuration over 26" OAL with stock at full extension, and the OP has permanently attached a muzzle device (his brake) which will extend the barrel beyond 16" from the bolt face. IF the rifle meets these requirements it is 100% legal in the eyes of the BATFE (but some states like CA may say otherwise based on original barrel length and what is considered a "permanent" method).

There is some scruff about the web concerning turning a handgun to a rifle and back again, but I have not researched this for myself and will be hesitant to believe either camp without reading the specific regulations myself.

243LPR
04-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Uh,I think he wrote 17" barrel.

nsaqam
04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Gentlemen...Gentlemen,

I truly appreciate ALL the comments and information. Really I do. Even the somewhat dismissive and negative sounding comments were of use to me. Your info on choices and sources and other info was really a lot of "news" to me.

This brake will be installed on a Target Action...one inch Bull barrel...6mm BR.....Boyd's stock. Barrel will be 15 inches long and despite it being a heavy bull it will jump around a lot. I don't like to "chase after" my gun after every shot. :o I have seen film of a Striker that is nearly identical to the one I am building and it moved a LOT on the bags. A bungee cord tamed it some and improved the groups. He uses a brake and despite that brake being high quality, I think a brake should perform better.

My only experience with brakes is on assault rifles in 7.62 X 39. The brake I use there is effective in that the barrel drops/dips after a shot. Recoil is in the 22LR category. Some have said that the bigger the ports a brake has the better it will work. I agree with that as a really big brake discharge will eliminate forward traveling gases so there will be no recoil from that action. Problem is we need some gas pressure to vent in the vertical to eliminate muzzle "flip". My vertical ports are ahead of the horizontal ones so I get lots of pressure and gas flow prior to the gases being fully vented to the sides. I know what superb braking is cause I have a model that works.

My thought is that a brake for a 6mm will have different dimension ports than one for a 7.62 other than the bore.

Thank you all,

John

No John wrote 15" barrel.

nsaqam
04-10-2012, 07:45 PM
unless...

...the action was purchased as a bare action, and not specifically designated as a "long gun"[b] on the [b]4472 box 18 when transferred to the OP.

...it is kept in rifle configuration over 26" OAL with stock at full extension, and the OP has permanently attached a muzzle device (his brake) which will extend the barrel beyond 16" from the bolt face. IF the rifle meets these requirements it is 100% legal in the eyes of the BATFE (but some states like CA may say otherwise based on original barrel length and what is considered a "permanent" method).

There is some scruff about the web concerning turning a handgun to a rifle and back again, but I have not researched this for myself and will be hesitant to believe either camp without reading the specific regulations myself.

You mean the 4473 I believe.

RatMag
04-12-2012, 07:57 AM
I built this rifle with the full intentions of installing a muzzle brake. It is a .243WIN, and built short for a specific reason. This rifle was built specifically because of my shoulder problems were keeping me from enjoying shooting. I left the .308 rifles behind, and went with the .243, and to be very honest, I wish I had made the transition a LONG TIME AGO!!

My rifle has an RWS muzzle brake, and even now that my shoulder is much better, I absolutely love not having to deal with any recoil. I will be using muzzle brakes on all my rifles from now on... period.

DK

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x308/z71rat308/IMAG0389-1.jpg