PDA

View Full Version : I need help - fox problem

Rick_W
04-05-2012, 09:20 PM
My wife has chickens. She had 22 two-month olds. Emphasis on "HAD". >:(

Now she "HAS" four.

The biddies were being kept in an older coop until they were big enough to go in with the grown birds.

Anyways, we know it's a fox (red) because it has been seen twice up near the house and the other chicken coop.

The problem - I am not at home and won't be home for another two weeks. My wife has no qualms killing the fox, but has no idea how to set up my e-caller or hide herself to be able to do it.

What can we do to persuade this fox to leave the chickens alone until I get a chance to set up for it in two weeks?

And why is the fox not messing with the eight ducks?

Any help appreciated - I really love my fresh chicken eggs. And I don't want to think of the money spent (lost) on buying these chicks and feeding them for two months just so a fox could have a meal!

Blue Avenger
04-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Where is the guard dog? ;) sleeping in the house?

Rick_W
04-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Where is the guard dog? ;) sleeping in the house?

Of course!

She did take off after it this morning, though. Ran it off about 200 yards before she turned around and came back.

I was told that she did not like it one bit...

Grit #1
04-05-2012, 11:42 PM
I would buy a large have-a-heart trap. Keep one end closed and set the trap with a dead chick(sacrifice) against the closed door, all the way up in there, so the fox has to step on the tray to get to it. Put the trap in the entrance to the coop were the fox has been going in. Try to keep as much of your scent off the trap as possible. After you catch the fox dispatch it with a 22. Check the sex and look for swollen ****. Is may be a female providing for a litter. If it was you killed two birds with one shot.
Best regards,
Grit

243Ranger
04-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but thought I might jump in since I have a little experience in this area. In regards to the skunk, someone mentioned a live trap and a blanket. I can't vouch for the blanket, but the idea is sound because they relax when covered up. I keep a card board box modified to fit over my livetrap with a slot cut out at the top so I can carry by the handle. Skunks normally get used to you pretty quick, so I walk around the trap at a safe distance and work my way in to the trap (keeping his head facing me, of course ;D) until I can get the box over the trap. I even talk to the skunk (seriously) because it seems to calm them down quicker. Once the box is over the trap you can carry him away and dispatch him if desired. I have done this many times without being sprayed. As far as shooting a skunk, I have had more luck with subsonic 22 rounds through the chest. Just one shot, because the purpose is to let him expire slowly without getting worked up over the loud noise of a gun. Of all the skunks I caught in leg-hold traps, this method seems to work best with only an occasional spray. I hope this helps!

Ooops! I mean't to put this on the skunk thread. You can catch that fox in a live trap but it helps to prebait for a few days so the trap doesn't fire before you set it catch the fox. It also helps when live trapping foxes to cut out a small area of grass the size of the trap and after putting the trap there put some soil (not much) over the bottom to cover the wire. Do not put it on or under the pan, you will have a mis-fire and that fox won't go in a second time.

Rick_W
04-06-2012, 04:57 PM
My issue with using a trap is that we have cats (ours & others), possums, & coons.

I don't want to catch every animal that smells the bait.

243Ranger
04-06-2012, 06:20 PM
You can set them loose in a live trap ;D

Blue Avenger
04-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Tell her to spend a couple nights in the coop with a 20 gauge, No wait, I want to be there when you do that! :)

sightings Same time of day?

Nor Cal Mikie
04-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Same thing for Fox. Open ended (one end) live trap. Dead chicken for bait. Blanket, old boards against the side of the trap. Catch a few local cats? (Been there, done that ::)) Let them out and reset. Patience is a virtue. ;)
Big live trap with seprate live cage at one end. Sure thing. ;)
Had a Mink kill 20 in one night. >:( Took a week for him to come back. Again, patience. ;) Got it!! ;D Mink couldn't swim holding up live trap in 2' of water. ;)
Cought BIG Grey Fox in big trap. Moved it a few miles away. Still around but not after "My" chickens anymore. Neighborhood cats? Taste like Chicken. 8)

Blue Avenger
04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Neighborhood cats? Taste like Chicken. 8)
Got some recipes we could trade?

Mine are Fox proof... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/photobucket-7688-1333290142596.jpg there in the house. I told her no chickens in the yard so they are in an aquarium.

Nor Cal Mikie
04-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Two weeks ago, friend got picutres of Mountian Lion on game cam. Thinning down the local feral cats he was feeding. :o

MaDa
04-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Two weeks ago, friend got picutres of Mountian Lion on game cam. Thinning down the local feral cats he was feeding. :o

That rocks. That's also what anything that shoots lead is for. I would have no hesitations shooting a cat out in the wild. Now if I'm near someone's barn, that's a different story. Mousers are alright in my book.

If she can see it she can shoot it. That sounds like your only option.

Nor Cal Mikie
04-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Mountin Lions are "PROTECTED" in California!! Shortage of State Hunters. :(
California Fish and Game says, "If you see it, shoot it. Call me and I'll do the paper work". 8)
Probably the same cat that killed a couple on Miniture Horses in the same area a few months ago.

If you see a Fox, shoot it!

SuperChuck
04-12-2012, 09:32 PM
If trying to buy time OR make an opportunity to shoot the fox...

Close off all the access to the coop every night, shut up the chickens securely, EVERY time.

Begin baiting with table scraps, trimmings, etc at a location easily in sight of a window in the house. This serves to get the fox hunger down and pattern them to a more shootable location... During this time, you might want to try a trap, but locally, Red foxes are about the hardest to trickk into a live trap, even soft-jawed live spring traps are hard to catch reds.

Sooner or later, he'll mess up and hit the scrap pile when she's looking and she can blister him from the comfort of the A/C.

Primarily, the biggest issue is securing the safety of the chickens. If there is a coup within a pen, secure the chickens and leave the dogs in the enclosure.

There's more than one way to outfox the fox....

SC

Rick_W
04-12-2012, 09:59 PM
SC,

I'm gonna try to set up tomorrow or Saturday night.

Unfortunately there is not a clear shot from the house without putting other houses at risk. We are not right next door to our neighbors, but it's the way the houses are set-up.

I plan on putting my climber tree-stand on a pole set up in the back yard and setting my e-caller down by the woods & old chicken coup.

I need to find a good light (locally) but I don't think that is going to happen. I think I am going to order either an Elusive Wildlife Technologies Kill Light XLR250 (red) or a Wicked Lights W400.

I would still like to know why it hasn't messed with the ducks...