PDA

View Full Version : which die and press

Pages : 1 [2]

Slowpoke Slim
04-21-2012, 09:33 AM
I caution you against getting penis-envy - you do shoot a Savage, right?

And there it is...

As I said when I made my comments, with MY opinions, you'll get at least as many different opinions as people you ask. AND some folks get real TESTY when you 'dis their favorite.

But it takes a real DIGNITARY like 'ol Rick here to QUESTION SOMEONES MANHOOD because they don't agree with him.

Perfect example of what I was referring to.

cgeorgemo
04-21-2012, 12:29 PM

And there it is...

As I said when I made my comments, with MY opinions, you'll get at least as many different opinions as people you ask. AND some folks get real TESTY when you 'dis their favorite.

But it takes a real DIGNITARY like 'ol Rick here to QUESTION SOMEONES MANHOOD because they don't agree with him.

Slowpoke I think you jumped to a conclusion that wasn't justified.
The caution against penis-envy isn't questioning anyone's manhood.
It's akin to saying don't spend more money than necessary to buy the "best there is" because somebody else owns it and it does a great job. Buy what is going to do the job you want done without spending too much to do it.
If you take the entire post into consideration instead of just grabbing one line out of context it becomes even more obvious.

Again - you need to decide what you want to accomplish with your reloading as that will determine which press & dies are best for you.

There's no need to buy benchrest quality dies if you're shooting a round/rifle that is not capable of benchrest accuracy. JMHO

Some dies are better than others, but what do you want to accomplish. For my cowboy shooting and plinking with semi-auto pistols - where the targets are typically no further than 25 yards and all that counts is being able to hit a 12"x12" plate - my LEE dies perform admirably.

Some people feel the need to put a Nightforce/Schmidt & Bender/Swarovski scope on a 50yd .22 LR plinking rifle. If you have the disposable income, spend it like you see fit. But don't feel you have to buy the most expensive, uber-precise, micro-adjustable dies to be a competent reloader.

And I'd like to take this moment to point out that the only one who has come across as being "testy" isn't Rick_W.

Rick_W
04-21-2012, 02:56 PM

And there it is...

Slim - If you'll read & COMPREHEND what I put in my posts - you would not have posted what you did.

I never recommended a particular press for the OP, only listed those that would do the job and the limitations of those as I know them.

Too many people buy the most expensive scope, largest/most powerful motorcycle/car/boat, or most expensive shooting glasses - not necessarily because they are the best for them, but because they don't want to feel inadequate in front of others. That is called penis envy.

Slowpoke Slim
04-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Perhaps if you did a little research on where and why the "envy" term came about, you'd understand it's true meaning.

Last comment by me on any of this.

Have a good day.

Rick_W
04-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Perhaps if you did a little research on where and why the "envy" term came about, you'd understand it's true meaning.

Last comment by me on any of this.

Have a good day.

Seems you may be a bit insecure without your high-dollar equipment...

Carry on!