PDA

View Full Version : 338-06 and 338-06 AI ntermediate/Long Range Setups?

leatherlunger
04-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Hi all. I am new to this forum but have recently built a wannabe Savage based on a Remage 700 system. My current build is a .284 Win Match from NSS and I couldnt be happier. I was wondering if anyone here has built a 338-06, 338-06 AI or 338 wm with the intent of a hard hitting intermediate to long range platform for say 600-800 yards? I am very interested in three cartridges and if anyone has expieriance they would like to share regarding 225, 250, and 300 grain loads and their performance. Additionally I am intersted in any expieriance any of you may have with the 245 grain Bore Tech/ Lehigh solids and what twists might stabilize them at lower speeds (2400-2600fps). I understand these cartridges are not intended for these types of capabilities, but i am not interested in their high dollar counterparts nor am I intersted in any 338 wildcats. I am however interested in the 338 high BCs an retained downrange energies they produce. Thank you all for any insight you may have and I look forward to learning with you all.

leatherlunger
04-04-2012, 01:45 AM
sorry guys if this was a lame topic. dont worry about it

bythebook
04-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Leatherlunger, I don't think it is a lame topic. First I want to welcome you to the site. Most of the guys on here have gone to the 338 Edge for a long range with power. Then there is a lot of fellows like me that are getting quite a few gray hairs and have gotten rid of the hard recoiling boomers. I sold my 338 Win. mag about 4 yrs. ago. I am sure some one will be able to help you out sooner or later. It is a little slow with Spring and all.

Keep asking questions,

bythebook

Blue Avenger
04-04-2012, 04:33 PM
If I had it to do, I would go AI for the sharp shoulder and increased brass life. Increase in speed would be a non factor for me, as it would only be a couple hundred feet per sec. The o6 would be more pleasant to shoot then the edge.

earl39
04-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I have a 338-06 with a 30 inch barrel that i built to shoot long range target and mid range hunting (1000 / 500 and under) but i haven't taken the time to really work up a good load. The only load i have was worked up for my rifle and was 49.x gr rl-15 under a 250 grain matchking. That was with fireformed mixed head stamp military brass. as always work up any loads with caution and good luck.

leatherlunger
04-07-2012, 11:36 AM
earl39 your build sounds exactly like what I am looking to put
together. I would appreciate any pictures you may have of it. Speaking generally, what type of muzzle velocities have you been able to accomplish with it and with what bullet weights?

earl39
04-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Leather i wish i could give you all the specs but i never put it across a crony. I worked up a load just good enough to hunt with and shot 1 doe and put the gun in a corner and haven't really messed with it in over a year. I did put the bullet where i was aiming on the doe at 350 yards but it pinholed so i went to 243 this last year for our small deer here in south Arkansas. I belive the cartridge has a lot of potential for both hunting and long range target shooting as it seems to buck the wind better than the 30's and carries energy for ever with not a lot of powder burned.

mattri
12-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Any news on either of these projects?