PDA

View Full Version : 338 lapua

slipp
04-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Went to the range Sunday new member showed up with a new LRH IN 338 lapua mag he was pumped we drooled over this beauty and finally the moment of its maiden voyage and all we got was a click Apon some investigation we discovered that the bolt was not closing completely seemed like head space to me has anyone herd of this problem the owner was some pissed his first savage so hopefully he gets this fixed fast slip

snowpro440
04-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Never heard of that happening on a new savage. I thought they were test fired at the factory. I just got the 338 lapua with the H-S Precision stock and it sets you back every time you pull the trigger with the 300 gr.smk's . I have it broke in now with 25 shots , now I have to find the right load for it. I chose the 300smk and the 250gr game kings to shoot in it . I'm off to the range today and hopefully to dial it in at 500 yards.

memilanuk
04-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Was he slapping the bolt down like on a Remchester? That'll trip the sear on bolt close, and lock up the trigger until reset.

Was he pulling the trigger *straight* back... its possible to inadvertently put some side pressure on the blade of an Accutrigger, especially if it is set too light (sometimes the factory settings are) and trip the trigger before the safety blade is out of the way - resulting in a 'click' but no 'bang'. Turning the trigger weight up some, and focusing on pulling the trigger straight back - no side pressure usually 'fixes' the problem.

slipp
04-01-2012, 11:58 AM
We were very careful to cam the bolt over easy and there was 1/4 inch to go before it was all the way down we dry fired it and all was well slipp

memilanuk
04-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Well, figured I'd try to rule out the normal problems first. The only time I've ran into something like that was when I screwed up the settings on my seating die (like a full revolution) and had the bullets seated out way too long. These were factory loads, were they not?

slipp
04-01-2012, 07:48 PM
We did use factory ammo

Don - LongRangeSupply
04-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Scope base screws preventing the bolt from closing?

WAMBO
04-07-2012, 01:41 PM
I think Too many Savages has hit it on the nail head.

I have a FCP HS in 338 LM, the bolt would close without a cartridge in the chamber but wouldn't when there was.
Found out the second screw from the front in the scope rail was just too long enough to hit the bolt lug and keep it from closing all the way.
Ground it down about .015" and it works like a charm now.
Hope this helps.

memilanuk
04-07-2012, 08:16 PM
I am curious how this one turns out... but I don't think that it's a scope base screw (or action screw) being too long, or else how would he get the bolt *closed* far enough to dry fire in the first place?

pitsnipe
04-07-2012, 10:06 PM
I am curious how this one turns out... but I don't think that it's a scope base screw (or action screw) being too long, or else how would he get the bolt *closed* far enough to dry fire in the first place?

Im with you, dont see how not having a round in the chamber would change the bolt touching a screw. Will stay tuned for more to come.

Don - LongRangeSupply
04-08-2012, 12:01 AM

The case head inside the bolt head ---could--- hold the bolt head in a slightly different position (more centered with less movement from side to side / up or down, essentially pushing the lug enough or not allowing it to shift enough, causing it to hit an overly long action screw or scope base screw. When the case was not there and thus centering the bolt head, there was enough play to miss that screw.

I am guessing that is what happened with WAMBO.

WAMBO
04-08-2012, 01:40 AM
The Savage has a floating bolt head, there's enough play for the bolt to close without a cartridge in the chamber but as Too many Savages stated the case head inside the bolt head doesn't allow the lug to flex downward so it ended up hitting the screw and not allowing the bolt to close all the way.

pitsnipe
04-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Thank you.
Learn sumpin new every day.