PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket stock for a 111fcns

sojourner
12-01-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm new to savage shooters forum.

I have a 111fcns (blued, synthetic stock, external box magazine) with accu-trigger in .30-06. It shoots about 1MOA (slighty under 1MOA) with Remington Core-lokt 165 grain PSP.

I am pretty happy with the gun as a deer rifle. The only thing I am not exactly happy about is the spongy feel of the stock around the barrel. Probably does not mean much, but I am thinking about finding a replacement synthetic stock. I also see that savagegunsmithing.com does a "flex-stiffening". So that might be a viable alternative (depending on what you experts tell me). This is a big game gun first and foremost.

Every experience I have had with gunsmiths has been BAD! So, I probably would go with someone reputable like SSS for the stock replacment. While there, I would get an accurizing job done (might as well, even though approx sub 1MOA is fine for a big game rifle).

With that said, where can I get a quality aftermarket stock for the 111fcns that has similar dimensions as standard stock? What make / model for the stock? I am assuming that the external box magazine requires some different type of stock.

Again, thanks for any/all answers to my questions.

sojourner
12-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Also, how do I tell if I have a staggered or center feed model?

Thx.

dfrosch
12-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I think that the only mass produced stock for a Savage DBM model is the Choate tactical. It's got a huge barrel channel, so it may not be good for a hunting rifle. Not sure if it's made for a long action either.

So, you're probably looking at a custom stock. SSS, Stockade and Joel Russo come to mind. Look around the SSS and Stockade web sites, see if you like any of the stocks. Both could work on your action, too.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

I think Joel Russo only does stocks, but he does them quite well. You might look around the 6mmBR website to find his email address.

The screws spacing is the same on long action centerfeed and staggered feed actions. I think on a DBM model, the mag release is a lever in front of the mag on a centerfeed and it's a button on the side on a staggered feed. Hopefully some one will correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck,
Dana

sojourner
12-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Dana,

Thanks for the reply and info. I'll have to contact them about stock and availability. I want to get this set up for next years deer hunting. Still using the savage now for deer season.

Thx.