PDA

View Full Version : First time neck sizing. Need help?

sutehk
03-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Hi. This is my first post on the forum, normally I just lurk and read a lot.

However, I need some help from the more experienced reloaders here. I'm trying to partial neck size some once fired Nosler brass with a Forster bushing bump die. While sizing the necks I'm noticing that there is brass being shaved off the necks. Is this normal? If not, what should I do to stop it?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

drybean
03-31-2012, 03:30 PM
check to see if your bushing is in backwards
drybean

sutehk
03-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Thank you for replying. I did that several times per Forster's instructions. Chamfered side down.

Chris

DanSavage
03-31-2012, 08:30 PM
You may want to get the next size bigger bushing and run it in that first then go back to the bushing your using now. It's just a case of trying to work the neck down gradually rather than force it right in the size bushing you want. This is caused by the chamber neck being a little on the big side, no big deal at all though, that's were tight neck chamber's can cut some corner's

sutehk
03-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks Dan, I'll try that.

sutehk
03-31-2012, 10:39 PM
I tried stepping the bushings down and the bushing was still shaving off brass from the necks. I ended up polishing the chamfer of the bushing with my dremel. No more shaved brass. Thanks for the suggestions guys I did not want to go at this with the dremel, however, it worked.

Thanks again.

Chris

Joe O
04-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Good.You may have had a small burr on the bushing.Lube the neck.

sutehk
04-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I use mink oil to lube the cases when I am full length resizing. Heard about it on another forum and it works very well. That's what I used to lube the case necks.

Chris

DanSavage
04-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Glad you figured it out, good job.