PDA

View Full Version : 6 dasher fireforming

Luckus
03-31-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't have my new 6 Dasher barrel yet but have been thinking about the case forming process.. I would prefer the cream of wheat and pistol powder route just to save rounds down the tube. What type of powder and how much of it does it take to do a good job. Thanks, Luckus

82boy
03-31-2012, 10:16 AM
The Dasher is one of the hardest rounds to form. I don’t know that I would use the COW method, due to the amount of area the case has to grow. The problem with the dasher is, if you don’t get the case against the bolt head, it will only partially size. I would recommend sizing the case up, then partially sizing the case back down creating a false shoulder, that would hold the case aginst the bolt head. (Even if you use the COW method.) The COW method can be extremely dangerous, and if you don’t know exactly what you’re doing (Powder type/and weight) things can get scary real quick. It is also something you have to have a high leval on consentation when loading, you double charge a case you will be in big trouble. I have also seen where 1 gr difference will make a sticky bolt, and leave ejector marks on the case.

riverat
03-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Here,s a great article on fireforming with Cream of Wheat to make the dasher case

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/04/forming-dasher-cases-with-pistol-powder/

Jeff

Luckus
04-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. I downloaded the info and will give it a try. Wish that barrel would get here!

riverat
04-03-2012, 05:39 AM
Lucas,let me know if you try this method for fireforming the dasher.i just bought one from Larry 40 on this forum and would like to try this method in the future

Jeff

Luckus
04-03-2012, 08:32 AM
I will do that, but it will be about a month before I get it put together.

nuclabuyer
04-05-2012, 12:00 PM
I fireformed mine by loading a light 6mm br load and shooting it. I split 2 necks doing it that fast. But I got 25 done that way. I will be doing some more when I get my McMillan in the mail.

Luckus
04-05-2012, 08:09 PM
What bullet did you use?

nuclabuyer
04-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I use a 95 or a 105 Berger VLD

Switchbarrel
04-20-2012, 08:02 PM
I've done both the COW method and the bullet jam/shoot method. COW seems to take a case to about 90+% formed, the new shoulder is still a bit rounded in my case(s) though. I create a false shoulder using a .25 cal expander and then neck size back down to 6mm just far enough to be able to close the bolt (with decent resistence) I use 8gr - 8.5gr. of Power Pistol or Herco powders, then fill with COW to the bottom of the neck, topping it off with your favorite paper towel/toilet paper wad to seal it all in.

Or, I've also sized my cases with a .265" bushing and seated any misc. 6mm bullets I have so they jam hard into the lands. Then load an appropriate 6BR powder charge and fire away. I get a better/sharper formed shoulder this way but, as you mention, it's putting additional rounds down the barrel. Lots of guys report good accuracy while shooting club matches and simultaneously fireforming.

While both methods have their own appeal, I would def. do the COW if I had tight necked chambers. Fire then neck turn.

-Rick

Luckus
06-16-2012, 06:54 PM
I forgot to report. I did the bullet jam method, as I did not have time or the inclination for the other two. I have formed 83 cases and lost two to split necks. I think it worked fine.