PDA

View Full Version : Spotting scope

henry1
03-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Ok I saw that Konus (posted earlier) may be a decent brand of spotting scope. What do you guys think? I cant afford to spend more than say 350-400. What other good ones are out there? Tell me what you think, I have seen a leo that comes in a cheesy hard case but comes with a tripod ect for about 320.00 the price leads me to think that it wont be that great. I will be using it mostly to hunt with, looking at critters from a long way off, and occasionally using it at the range. I was thinking something along the lines of 20X60X80 but dont know, i have one of the cheesy burris ones that goes to 25X or something like that, it was a package deal with a scope and i figured why not, but its not enough to be checking stuff out from a 1000yds away. So i look forward to hearing what you guys have to say! Thanks!
Henry.

thomae
03-30-2012, 11:49 PM
In your price range, you should be able to get a used Kowa. They are good. I just looked at the moons of Jupiter with mine the other evening. It's a 20 power 70 mm with the prominar lenses.

henry1
03-31-2012, 12:03 AM
ok cool! So where could i snag one of these lightly used powerful pieces?

henry1
03-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Konus 7120 20x-60x80mm Spotting Scope with Tripod And Case. its down from 400 to 235. Is this a good one? seems like it might be!!! :o :o :o
Might be investing some of my tax return!
H.

ps
this is what it comes with
Spotting scope with 20x to 60x magnification and 80mm objective lens
Forward-expanding lens hood; photo adapter for photography
157.2-foot field of view @ 1,000 yards (20x); 2.9mm exit pupil
Includes tabletop tripod; measures 16.8 inches long; weighs 54.7 ounces
Seems like a good deal to me....

henry1
03-31-2012, 12:16 AM
bummer, just realized this was a konus not a kowa....

Rick_W
03-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Sounds like a decent deal on a scope for the range.

I would not want to pack an 80mm scope through the woods, though.

I would look for something like a 15-45x60, at the absolute largest, if I were planning on packing it.

The Konus will not have the resolution/clarity of say, Kowa, Leica, or Swarovski.

The higher quality scopes will have better glass, meaning you don't need the higher magnification to see the same object as lesser glass.

I have read a lot of good reviews of Nikon, Pentax, & Vortex as well.

Google some nature watching forums and see what they are using.

henry1
03-31-2012, 12:29 AM
Taken to heart! THanks, but, i already have the little guy, id be willing to trade you my little one for your big one! haha jk, just want something to check out critters from far away.

I did find
Kowa TSN-601 Standard Optics 60mm Angled Spotting Scope for 425....but it seems that this is a fixed power scope? duno and it didnt say, sounds like it got a good warranty though. am goin to check out Vortex next. Thanks again!
henry.

So i have done a tiny bit of homework, i dont think that the konus is for me from what the reveiws have said....

thomae
03-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Taken to heart! THanks, but, i already have the little guy, id be willing to trade you my little one for your big one! haha jk, just want something to check out critters from far away.

I did find
Kowa TSN-601 Standard Optics 60mm Angled Spotting Scope for 425....but it seems that this is a fixed power scope? duno and it didnt say, sounds like it got a good warranty though. am goin to check out Vortex next. Thanks again!
henry.

So i have done a tiny bit of homework, i dont think that the konus is for me from what the reveiws have said....

I bought mine on ebay. It is either a fixed or variable power depending on what eyepiece you get. You can change eyepieces very easily and they are often available separately.

henry1
03-31-2012, 09:42 AM
thanks thomea, the one is temp out of stock so either i wait or check out ebay....thanks again for your guy's help!
Henry.

thomae
03-31-2012, 10:55 AM
One other thing...if you do get a Kowa or similar scope with separate eyepieces, try to get a long eye relief eyepiece. It makes it just that much easier to quickly look at your target.