PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 SPC on a Savage platform??

Pages : 1 2 [3]

tammons
12-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I was posting the question more for you.
The WSM is a short fat case so it should be more efficient than a 270 AI case not that it really matters though.

People like what they like.

I was going to build a 270 WSM, and then I thought geez, my dad has a deluxe weatherby
270 weatherby magnum I can shoot any time I want !!

I loaded up some 85 gr TSX pills on top of a #$%^load of powder and got 3700 +. I expected to get more.
Maybe with a different powder, but 3700 is fast enough. Provides a nice warm barrel for a hand warmer.

MAGNUS
12-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Its a good one that question...

from my research the 270 WSM is just faster that the .270 WIN and the 270 AI savage is just a little slower than the 270 WIN.

So i slighty tilt to the favour of less powder for almost equal speed/velocity or flat shooting and less recoil etc. Having said that i still like the 270 WSM and am actually thinking of getting/building one.

By the way how did your 6.5 grendal compare to your 6.8 spc after all was said and done?

tammons
12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Thats another half dozen one or the other.

I will say for some reason I depise Bill A's death grip on the 6.5G and 50 beo trade mark.
If he would lighten up a bit, he would probably sell a lot more uppers, ammo etc.
I paid $50 for a set of 6.5G Lee dies.

Right now 50 beowulf ammo is non existant.

On to the comparison...

The 6.5 grendel is really a 6.5 PPC. There was another name for it too.
I think the case was slightly modified but not 100% on that.

IMO its a better long range target round than the 6.8 mostly because of bullets.
I think they both hold about the same amount of powder, but the 6.8 is a
more efficient shell for some reason. Probably the bigger bore.

The 123 senecar is a good bullet for the 6.5 G.
Still the COL is too limited by the AR mag length.
What would be ideal is to hang the bullet way out and shoot 130-140 gr bergers.

Its still a very small shell.
You really need a 24" barrel to get the most out of a 6.5G.
IMO the 6.8 feeds better in an AR.

If I am going to lug around a heavy and cumbersome 24" barreled AR, I would rather have a 25WSSM, 6.5 WSSM or a 300OSSM that has a lot more FPS and FPE, especially the 300OSSM in FPE. It basically returns 30-06 performace form an AR15.

The 6.8 SPC is a great hard hitting light recoil hunting round.
It will keep up with the grendel most of the way to 1000 yds, depending on how hot it is loaded and the bullet.

It does much better with 12" 16" 20" inch barrels.

As far as in a bolt gun, I dont know.
I think the 6.5 G would work better especially since you are not limited to 2.25 col
but for strictly a hunter bolt gun I would rather have a 6.8 SPC especially since its easier to find ammo.
You wont see 6.5G ammo on store shelves any time soon.

There was a guy over at the 6mmbR site that built a 6.5 G 1000 yd gun for cometition. Needs more powder IMO.

Could use more light weight bullets for hunting, plinking.

Then again why not just build a 6.5 lapua or any other of the excellent 6.5 cartridges if a bolt gun.

Thats one thing about the 6.8 is you have a variety of light hard hitting bullets which makes it interesting. 90 gr TNT, 85, 100 (soon), 110, 130 gr barnes bullets etc.

Link to the 6.5G 1000 yd F-class gun.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek027.html

MAGNUS
12-12-2009, 01:30 AM
So your saying ignoring availabilty and monopoly etc. that the 6.5 G is better in a bolt gun hunting wise?

Also what do you think about a 25 cal based on the SPC or PPC cases?

Oh yeah i forgot to add to the earlier post that the 270 AI savage is relatively short and fat thats why it almost equals the 270 WIN.

tammons
12-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I think a 6.5G makes a better target gun, or if you will build a 24-28" barreled hunter its a good one.
Probably better for a long range hunter using long bullets.

That said a 6mmBR is a better target round than 6.5G and so on.

For a short barreled rifle like 16-19" out to 350 yards I would want a 6.8 using TSX bullets in the 85-110 gr area.
Its an efficient round.

About 3 years ago when I had my grendel AR you did not have a lot of light projectiles in 6.5mm. Now I see there are all sorts including barnes is coming out with a 100 gr tipped TSX and that will be an excellent bullet in 6.5.

Maybe with the right powder you could get the FPS up with a short barrel. The PPC case is an inherently accurate case.

If you are interested lothar walther makes savage 6.5G barrels, but calls them something else like 6.5 CSS due to licensing. When I called years ago, they had some barrels left over from when they got screwed on a deal. He was selling them for about $225 each. Wish I would have gotten one then. Now I think they sell them for about $350.

I dont know. I never could get into 25cal.
I think its been done by somebody on both cases though.
You would lose some efficiency.

I did have a 25 WSSM, but the brass is way too hard and quality is poor.

That said there are so many good 6.5, 270 and 25 cal rounds out there, it does not make a whole lot of sense going through the hassle of custom barrels etc unless you want a hard hitting round with less recoil or maybe if you also have an AR in the same caliber.

The one that is missing is a short action 473 face 270.

I just like the 6.8 SPC myself, so that will be my excuse.

As to the 270-08 its probably just a more efficient cartridge then the longer 270 win. I think they are about the same diameter.

So your saying ignoring availabilty and monopoly etc. that the 6.5 G is better in a bolt gun hunting wise?

Also what do you think about a 25 cal based on the SPC or PPC cases?

Oh yeah i forgot to add to the earlier post that the 270 AI savage is relatively short and fat thats why it almost equals the 270 WIN.

handirifle
12-12-2009, 11:28 AM
I looked into the 270 WSM (for bolts and the 25cal for the AR)and the big red flag for me, was availability of brass and ammo. Plus you really limit the number of rounds in the magazine with the WSM rounds.

The Grendel seems to have an edge on paper but the OP specified for hunting, it seemed and I do not read of near as much success in that arena.

These two rounds could very well be like the initial offerings of the 6mm Rem and the 243 Win. Depends on who does it and how they're marketed.

A MAJOR plus for the 270-08 or the AI version, is 308 brass (or 243 or 260 Rem, you get the idea) is everywhere, and in many levels of quality.

The big reason I thought od the 270 variation, was the availability of light for caliber, quality bullets, that are already proven afield.

In reality, the little 6.8 does not seem to be undergunned for any deerr sized critter, for SURE 200yds or less, and maybe farther, depending on the load, the gun and the shooter. It's like a 30-30 without the recoil.

I hope the OP starts a trend. As I said before this is an interesting post.

sinman
12-12-2009, 11:29 AM
just make a 270x47L, Great brass, should be very efficent and i am betting it will be very accurate and it should should be great with the 85gr bullet. And it would feed great from any savage.

MAGNUS
12-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Only if i can call it a .270 savage ;D

sinman
12-13-2009, 10:27 AM
haha i am sure you can call it what ever you want, i am sure there aren't to many out there. I would probably call it a 6.8 Sin haha

1Shot
12-13-2009, 01:02 PM
...Bob T already has 1 done in 270-08 al...He likes it.. ;)