PDA

View Full Version : Evolution Trigger Thoughts

voldoc02
12-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I just sent my Savage Mod 12 BR off to Fred for T&T and Evolution trigger..
Hoping you'd share your thoughts if you have one or had experience with one=
I'm hoping this will be on par with a Jewell.. Pipe dreams??
thanks much
Doc Stone

post replies here
or email me @

Voldoc02@htomail.com

82boy
12-01-2009, 11:31 AM
He has been selling them like hot cakes lately, with many repeat customers.

groupshooter22
12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
I have never pulled a Jewell but my Evolution is just awesome. Light crisp and consistant pull. You wont be disappointed.

82boy
12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
I will give you one more piece of advice, and this is something I have received much criticism over. (Mostly because people can not understand how they relate.)

Get ride of the bulky heavy BT bolt handle, that come factory on the gun. Find a lighter handle such as a SSS, or a stockade, or many have taken and turned down factory knobs and placed aluminum or plastic knobs on them. The problem is the BT bolt handle is much too heavy for a light trigger. (IMO it is too heavy for any trigger under 1lbs.) This is why a lot of people have problems with the target accu-trigger. The added weight makes the bolt clunk down hard and causes slam fires. I have never used a BT bolt handle on a Evolution trigger, but going on my experiences of the target accu-trigger changing the bolt handle makes a night and day difference.

BobT
12-01-2009, 02:05 PM
If the weight of the bolt handle is causing the sear to trip then the sear does not have enough engagement. If the sear trips for any reason other than the trigger being pulled then the gun is unsafe. You can have a very light trigger pull and still be safe but this comes at a cost, either custom work on a factory trigger or a good aftermarket trigger. I have owned rifles with triggers that pulled between 1 and 2 ounces that were entirely safe, the gun would not fire until the trigger was pulled. I currently have an M10 with a Stockade tactical bolt handle that probably weighs twice as much as a factory handle, it has a trigger pull of around 6 ounces and it will not fire until I pull the trigger, I can slam the bolt, bounce it off the ground, whack it with a hammer, whatever, it won't go off. The trigger is a Rifle Basix SAV-2, it is very consistent and although I do have some minor complaints it is a good, safe, trigger. I see the Accu-trigger as a decent hunting trigger but IMO it would take a lot of work to make it a target trigger, in fairness I have never pulled a target version and it may be better but from looking at the design I don't think the Accu-trigger will ever be equal to a Jewell or Kenyon or Canjar.

If you want a great trigger you have to pay for it.

Bob

82boy
12-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Where can you get a Jewell, Kenyon or Canjar trigger for a Savage?

savageboy
12-01-2009, 02:25 PM
You cant

Smokepole
12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
"If the weight of the bolt handle is causing the sear to trip then the sear does not have enough engagement. If the sear trips for any reason other than the trigger being pulled then the gun is unsafe."

My thoughts exactly. Except I'd add a caveat at the end: "for general use". If one doesn't mind the risk for a bench gun, I don't guess a trigger sensitive to slamming the bolt home matters much to them, since they'll never slam it home, and the gun is on a bench aimed downrange in a very controlled situation it's whole life.

I too have a SAV-2 @ 6oz and I can whack the stock w a rubber mallet, bounce the butt off the floor, or work the bolt however and it won't trip, unless you pull the trigger. The Evolution looks like the business, but the 6oz trigger above is good enough for me for now.

BTW, I just received a barrel wrench, lug, and trigger guard from SSS. It all looks top notch. I prefer Stockade's handle though. It truly is a turned piece. From the pics, it doesn't look like SSS's is, but I've never held one.

BobT
12-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Where can you get a Jewell, Kenyon or Canjar trigger for a Savage?

Savage boy pretty much told the tale, I believe that Canjar made one many years ago but I don't recall ever seeing it and rumor has it that Jewell was working on one at one time but shelved it. From all I have heard though the Evolution trigger is equal to the best of them. I'm also sure that there is a pretty good reason that Fred requires the trigger to be installed by him!

Bob

nrar15
12-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Sending mine it this week for my 6.5x55 build. ;D
Bob

voldoc02
12-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks Guys for the ideas.. I will shoot my Model 12 in Factory Class Shoots and the
FACTORY accra-trigger Target tRIGGER was very inconsistent and would slam fire sometimes
out of the Blue.. I did remove the Blade in search of lighter pull so Slams wouldn't be
a trouble if I just wanted a 10-12 oz trigger.. The Rifle Basic Sav-2 is a ripoff if you're
looking for a Target grade trigger , maybe OK for Hunting but sucks for BenchRest Quality..
I paid $178.00 for the RBasic Sav-2 and followed the Video and still would not safely go below
12 ozs., called the owner of RBasics and Basically said Tough Luck= no quarantees
That's why I'm looking for Evolution Relief
Doc Stone

BobT
12-02-2009, 03:02 AM
Doc,

I had no problems at all getting my SAV-2 down to 6 oz. with a good clean pull, no creep and no discernible over travel. The only complaint I have with it is some side to side movement that I'm sure I could shim out if I would take the time. I consider 6 oz. to be usable as a bench rest trigger unless you shoot free recoil then it might cause some problems with movement, myself, I'm a bag squeezer and shoot thumb pressure most of the time so it's not a problem at all. It sounds like you may have gotten a lemon!

Bob

Smokepole
12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
May have, and the instructional video is junk. I 'learned by doing' on the adjustments.

BobT
12-02-2009, 11:52 AM
My video doesn't even play!

"If the weight of the bolt handle is causing the sear to trip then the sear does not have enough engagement. If the sear trips for any reason other than the trigger being pulled then the gun is unsafe."

My thoughts exactly. Except I'd add a caveat at the end: "for general use". If one doesn't mind the risk for a bench gun, I don't guess a trigger sensitive to slamming the bolt home matters much to them, since they'll never slam it home, and the gun is on a bench aimed downrange in a very controlled situation it's whole life.

Not even for bench rest or target use , if you think that bolts don't get slammed on the line go watch a 1000 yard shooter try to get a string off before the conditions change.