PDA

View Full Version : lefthanded lightweight micro practical rifle project

big honkin jeep
03-30-2012, 12:24 AM
After my last couple of .308 projects have wound up with very long barrels and heavy stocks I have come to the realization that they just aren't practical for hunting,kicking around in the field or using from a tractor or truck. I have decided to go the other way with my current project. This project rifle started life as a plain flatback model 10GL in .243. I tinkered with it and turned it into an American classic style rifle but as with anything else I just can't quit tinkering.
I have obtained a DBM synthetic stock which I converted to left handed. I then took 1 1/2" off the butt and reshaped the limbsaver butt pad. I had to move the swivel stud forward 1 1/2" to accommodate the butt pad screws and I moved the forward stud back to remove about 4" from the fore end. Epoxy was added in this area as well as the right bolt cut and swivel stud holes to give it a clean finished look. I will be bedding it before final assembly. I have put a nice 4 color layered treebark camo job on the stock to finish out the stock.
I installed a 3 screw trigger I had obtained before they became scarce and adjusted it down nicely to about 2#. I have an EGW picatiiny base and a set of Leupold rings on the way so that I can slide the scope forward to avoid scope eye and will mount up one of the optics I have laying around. Probably a Vortex Diamondback.
I changed out the .243 barrel for a .308. This was kinda a pain because I left the scope bases in place and boogered up some action threads in the process which luckily I was able to straighten out. The 243 barrel is however now a tomato stake. I have decided to have the .308 barrel cut down to 16 1/2" and threaded for a locally built custom brake. I dropped it off today and can't wait to see the results in a couple of weeks.
I have been slowly working on this one, but the closer I get to the idea I started with, the more excited I get about it's completion.
I'll be sure and post pics and specs (weight and length) of the completed project as well as a range report.
Here's a pic of the base rifle after the initial tinkering into a budget classic style was done. It'll definitely be much more compact and lighter with increased power this time around.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/gregsandmine005-1.jpg

GaCop
03-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Nice looking rig BHJ, excellent work!

Blue Avenger
03-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Looks good!

Your .243 barrel may have enough shank left to make a 6BR out of it. When you cut a bit of the bad portion off and run some new threads You wind up with a short chamber. The 6br being a short case, if done carefully with planning could salvage your barrel.

big honkin jeep
03-30-2012, 07:03 PM
The pic is of the rifle That I started with this time. I had worked it over a while back but decided to use it as a donor for my current project due to my bad case of tinkeritis and limited budget. Pics of the current mods will be posted when I get it back from being cut down and threaded.

The boogered up .243 barrel has had .524" of the threads cut off on a lathe by a buddy to rescue the barrel nut and I'm left with .994" of threads on it. I don't have the necessary tools,money or patience to do any more with this barrel right now and I'm not even sure if there's enough left that anything can be done.

On a positive note my EGW picatinny base and Leupold rings arrived today. I think I'll go see what optic I have laying around that will be best suited for this project.
Y'all Have a great weekend
BHJ

If anyone else has shortened or lightened their rifle I'd love to see pics or have ideas.