PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Help

dirtking
03-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Hello Everyone!
I just got done bedding my new 338 edge built on a savage la into a factory BVSS stock with original pillars. Have done one other savage rifle and it turned out well. Did everything the same as far as taping the barrel to center and set the action to the right height. Action popped out good and got it all cleaned up. Let it fully cure and when I set the action in the stock it fits like a glove but when I tighten the rear action screw it takes awhile to bottom out and produces gaps on the side of the stock at the rear. Front screw bottoms out and torques up fast. Looking for advice as to what would cause this. I floated the tang area when I bedded it like everyone suggests. Sorry for the long post just trying to give all info I can!

Thanks!
Chance

drybean
03-29-2012, 09:37 PM
screws swaped?
drybean

dirtking
03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
No got them in correct. Short one in front and long one threw the trigger guard.

JW
03-29-2012, 10:33 PM
does the recoil lug have clearance on the bottom part of the lug?
Could be that it is touching causing the back to be off the bedding a small amount

gotcha
03-29-2012, 11:49 PM
How long did you allow the bedding material to cure? What did the manufacturer suggest? If you took the action out prior to full cure you could easily upset the bedding. If you pulled the action by giving the BBL a smack just ahead of the fore-end you transfer a LOT of pressure to the tang area. This is the demise of most otherwise excellent bedding attempts. The fact that you've got "gaps at the side of the stock" upon torquing would lead me to believe you popped the action too soon.......... When installing the action screws the front screw will almost always pull down to a sudden stop. The rear screw a little slower since its counter-acting the weight of the barrel. But it also should come to a sudden stop. Not slowly, gradually tighten. This is another sign you may have popped the action too soon. (receiver is in a bind) If you can't use Devcon at least choose a bedding material that contains powdered metal (like Devcon) Also helpful to hang a high wattage bulb over the action to transfer heat to the bedding material in this cooler spring weather. My .02 cents.

dirtking
03-30-2012, 07:36 AM
I removed the action about 4 1/2 hours after setting it in.
I always leave some setting on a piece of cardboard to treat. I couldnt cut it with my finger nail. Maybe I will just hog it back out and redo it.

Thanks
Chance

GaCop
03-30-2012, 07:53 AM
When I use Devcon, I leave the rifle alone until the bedding compound has set up for at least 12 hours.

Grit #1
03-30-2012, 07:57 AM
There you go. You should have waited at least 24 hours before popping the action out. Go back and read gotcha's post again and follow his advise. If you do use Devcon pay particular attention to mixing instructions. There are two, one by weight and one by volume. If you mix it wrong it will not harden properly, maybe not at all.
Best regards,
Grit

Blue Avenger
03-30-2012, 10:06 AM
try relieving the front and bottom of the lug, before you remove it all.

dirtking
03-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Ok thanks for all the advice! I will get after it again this weekend. How do you guys usually bed around the rear action screw where the magazine keeper is installed?

Once again thanks!
Chance

dirtking
03-30-2012, 10:54 AM
This is a centerfeed stock if that matters. Thanks!

slurpin dog
03-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Put some red lipstick on the bottom of the recoil lug, and reinstall in stock. Remove and check bottom of recoil lug. If lug is bottoming out the lipstick will be smudged or show in the bottom of the lug recess. Also make sure your action is not bottoming out on the magazine.

Ron

dirtking
03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Ok guys thank you for all the advice. I went to the garage to take another look at this and I put it back in the stock without the magazine in it and started tightening the action screw. To my disgust i look in the mag well and the stock is splitting right down the middle of it. So now looking for advice to fix this or just bite the bullet and get a new stock. Looking at a manners or mcmillan if i do.

Thanks
Chance

GaCop
03-31-2012, 07:01 AM
I recently repaired a Boyd's laminate that had split through the bolt holes. Stock was on a used rifle I picked up in a pawn shop. I drilled down into the split with a 1/4" bit and then filled that with Devcon, clamping the stock until the Devcon cured.

jsthntn247
03-31-2012, 09:21 PM
This is going on a 338, so I say get another stock. I have bedded many a rifle and I always pop the action out after 3-4 hours to clean up with a razor knife. You should have taped, headless bolts that you used to center the action in the stock. These should be sticking out the screw holes while the stock cures. Tap these screw lightly with a hammer to break it loose for the 3-4 hour clean up instead of whacking it on the for end. Also, THIS is very important, unscrew the headless bolts before you pull the action, if you don't some bedding will pull out with the screws and leave a void in the bedding. I've tested all mine with a dial indicator and have never had a issue.