PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Axis .22-250 sight-in & range report!

dozer02
03-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey folk's! I had an awesome sight-in with my new Axis .22-250! I ordered 2 different scopes for it and they were both backordered so I ended up purchasing both a Weaver 44/40 12x scope and a DNZ gamereaper 1 piece mount for it. (hey, I had a Cheaperthandirt gift card) Anyway this turned out to be a pretty solid combination on the Axis. The scope was surprisingly crisp & bright considering the price and it took only 3 shots to zero it in using my cheap Caldwell solo rest. I opted for the silver finish scope along with the silver finish DNZ mount so everything would match! I sighted it in to my clubs maximum 150 yard line. Using factory Remington 45gr psp's it was able to print a 3/4" 5 shot group @150 yards once sighting was completed. I then switched to some cheap factory PPU 50gr hp's from Cabelas for $11.99 a box and they printed exactly the same as the Remingtons without adjusting point of aim, I guess the extra 5 grains doesn't make much of a difference at 150 yards. I fully cleaned the bore after each & every shot to prevent fouling & sighting difficulty's, I was told to do so by a retired firearm engineer (he knows more than me, so that's what I did!) I'm thinking it's now time to start "crow control" & squirrel sniping! "Wiley Coyote" doesen't frequent any of my spots here in Ct. so I can't really use it for what it's well meant for, hopefully I'll get a shot or two at some "chucks" but I rarely get to see them in the fields either, there was a family of them living under my shed though! My overall impression of this rifle is excellent. Before purchasing the Axis, I was pondering the Weatherby Vanguard and to sum it up, I have no regrets! Now I'll be purchasing that lightweight hunter I wanted next! ;D