PDA

View Full Version : Oil and wood

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Blue Avenger
12-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks but we already touched on that.
My point, that you want to gloss over is that he is not the only one to do it. As to oil getting to the forend... whole lot better then in the wrist where it will snap.

If all you want to hear is tru oil will seal it then I can say that. until the dry weather comes and the wood shrinks and then the damp weather come and the wood swells a micro meter creating the spot where a drop of your oil gets in. Your going to have to go synthetic.

efm77
12-30-2012, 08:54 PM
I didn't gloss over it. I really appreciate the input. I know he's not the only one. Like I said earlier though, the racks in my safe are not set up to be able to put them in there muzzle down except on the front row. I can put a few in there like that but that's it. The only other option is to stand them in every corner of the house which would be ok with me but I doubt the wife would like it. I have mostly synthetics and don't worry about them so I try to leave as much space on the front for the wood ones to be put muzzle down. As for the wood shrinking and swelling, I guess I thought the tru oil finish would expand and contract along with it so I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for pointing that out.

defcon9
02-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Whichever way rifles are stored, NEVER close the muzzle! Right?

I mean if the muzzle is capped off through temperature and humidity changes, soon the wood won't be of concern. Not with that barrel anyway. Right?

Correct me if I'm wrong please.

doc540
02-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Howard's Feed'N'Wax is the stuff - orange oil and beeswax

efm77
02-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Defcon, as long as you don't have the barrel sealed completely and you store them inside where there's not much humidity you should be fine. A very light film of oil in the barrel will protect it.

Also as a side note. Blue Avenger discussed the swelling and shrinking of the wood and makes a good point with that. However, the Tru-Oil bottle says the finish won't crack with age. I assume this means with temperature/humidity changes too. I haven't used it long enough to see though but I'm trying to store my wood stocked guns muzzle down now but have limited space to do that.

defcon9
02-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Defcon, as long as you don't have the barrel sealed completely and you store them inside where there's not much humidity you should be fine. A very light film of oil in the barrel will protect it.

Also as a side note. Blue Avenger discussed the swelling and shrinking of the wood and makes a good point with that. However, the Tru-Oil bottle says the finish won't crack with age. I assume this means with temperature/humidity changes too. I haven't used it long enough to see though but I'm trying to store my wood stocked guns muzzle down now but have limited space to do that.

Yep, it seems that even a slight tilt will leave the barrel open.
Useful tip.

Knowledgable members on this site.

Thanks all!