PDA

View Full Version : Cheek rest issues

handirifle
03-25-2012, 06:57 PM
OK I finally started making my rifle fit ME instead of the other way around. I'm tired of getting hammered from recoil because the cheek rest is 1/2" below my cheek and then comes up to say Hi at trigger pull.

Before you address it, NONE of my rifles are really where they should be, no matter the scope mount/base/ring setup, so I decided to fit it.

I put my 30-06 into the factory tupperware stock, that I stiffened a long time ago, and after experimenting, found the cheek rest needed to come up 3/8". This is a hunting rifle, period, so I am not interested in the adjustable target/tactical style stocks that have the warp over section that adjust for that. I got a 1/4" stick on pad, and added another 1/8" under it, and it fits perfect, plus the extra padding won't hurt either.

My question is, does anyone make a stock (synthetic) with a built in padded cheek rest? I thought of a lace on type, maybe one that holds ammo, but not sure of that part. may still go that way if the "stick on" doesn't. Those do seem to have a habit of coming "unstuck". Other suggestions, besides another brand stick on? Just looking at options for other rifles in the stable, as I am wanting to make it so that every rifle I own, when mounted, puts my eye directly in line with the sights/crosshairs.

LabRat2k3
03-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Seems I recall someone making one from black ABS drainpipe cut to lenght, split down one side, then heated in the oven, molded to the stock, then glued in place. I'll try to find a link if I can remember what forum I saw it on.

handirifle
03-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Yea I was kinda wondering if there was a factory design out there.

LabRat2k3
03-26-2012, 02:34 AM
Ok. How does this grab ya? can be velcroed, strapped, glued, or screwed.
http://www.accu-riser.com/products/Accu%252dRiser-Ambidextrious-Comb-Raiser-Black-Finish.html

handirifle
03-26-2012, 04:24 AM
Ok thats gettn closer. I like the concept, mostly. The ones listed are too high for my needs (3/8" was all I needed, and I thought that was a lot.

memilanuk
03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
http://karstenskydexcheekrest.com/

What I put on most of my rifles that don't otherwise have some sort of adjustable comb / cheek piece.

handirifle
03-26-2012, 01:44 PM
My browser won't load that page or any on their site for some reason, says server was reset. >:(

handirifle
03-26-2012, 01:53 PM
OK never got their site up, but did see a video of some guy putting one on his Rem 700. Those are adjustable, and more the "tactical" type. I will have to post a pic of what mine looks like, but I am hoping to find something built IN to the stock, rather than on the stock. It may not exist, but am still looking.

All the ones that are cut into the rifle that I have seen so far, are the adjustable ones, and I want mine in fixed position. No gaps where the sticks and dirt can clog up. I may end up adding a plastic piece with the pad permanently attached to it, and screw that onto the stock. I have an idea in my head, just need to figure out how to make it a reality.

Anyone have any idea of the type of plastic these factory stocks are made of? Where would a person get a small sheet of this stuff, say a 6" x 8" piece?

dsculley
03-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Get some kydex, heat it and shape it to your stock, then install it over your stick-on pads. Secure it with the fasteners of your choice.

Dennis

dsculley
03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Search the 'net, lots of places to get kydex.

handirifle
03-28-2012, 02:03 PM
I did a search and found some, thanks, that might be just the ticket. What I have in mind for the pad itself, is a 2 step affair. I am thinking that an outer edge, say 1/8" thick and maybe 1/4" wide, that the frame (kydex?) would overlay, and the center section about 3/8" (or what ever you decided you needed). That way, the outer frame could be screwed into the stock, with no gaps under it to catch debris.

Anyone have any idea what type of foam these pads are and whether or not you could get this foam, in either a spray form, or a mix n pour setup? I would like to make the two tier pad as a one piece unit, so there is no separation issues.

DarnYankee
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
I use a Beartooth comb riser. You can find them at Bass Pro .com . It is a neoprene sleeve that comes with several different thickness foam pads to put under it. It costs about $20 and is very comfortable in winter or summer. I was unable to find it when searching for cheek rest or comb riser but when I put Beartooth in the search they came up. They are black or camo.

handirifle
03-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Yankee
That looks pretty close as well, I do think I will keep pursuing the "permanent" setup. Should I decide to go with a temporary unit, that will probably be the one I go with. Thanks for that.

243LPR
03-30-2012, 11:15 PM
I used one from Tactical Works that has velcro straps w/ammo loops. The nice thing is you can add spacers under it to any height you want.