PDA

View Full Version : Precision Carbine not staying cocked

Brian T
03-25-2012, 04:02 PM
When I work the bolt on my carbine it uncocks as I lower the bolt. During one range session (shot 10 rounds) it went from just fine to this. Any ideas?

jsthntn247
03-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Have you messed with the trigger any? Sounds like the trigger is too light. Try tightening the poundage screw in small increments until it stops doing this then lock tote it in place.

stangfish
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Agreed. But use loctite rather than that tot stuff. Or use finger nail polish...that has been used by many a garage gunsmith.

Also when you have adjusted the spring tension enough to keep the seer ingaged when closing the bolt, do a bump test by lightly bouncing the buttstock on the ground to see if it will fire. (unloaded of course.) Also rap the gun on the side to perform aditional accidental fire test while unloaded and cocked.

Many people dont realize the impact of to low spring tension on the trigger. At some point there is not enough force to maintain seer contact. As the bolt closes it completely misses the edge that should stop the seer and hold the firing pin.

Good luck.
Fish

handirifle
03-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Agreed. But use loctite rather than that tot stuff. Or use finger nail polish...that has been used by many a garage gunsmith.

Also when you have adjusted the spring tension enough to keep the seer ingaged when closing the bolt, do a bump test by lightly bouncing the buttstock on the ground to see if it will fire. (unloaded of course.) Also rap the gun on the side to perform aditional accidental fire test while unloaded and cocked.

Many people dont realize the impact of to low spring tension on the trigger. At some point there is not enough force to maintain seer contact. As the bolt closes it completely misses the edge that should stop the seer and hold the firing pin.

Good luck.
Fish

I am assuming you were correcting HIS spelling, in jest? ;) ;D

Brian T
03-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks, two full turns on the trigger adjustment seems to have solved the problem. What is odd is that the only adjustment I had made prior to this was to tighten the screw some. I guess over time/recoil it backed off

stangfish
03-26-2012, 07:43 PM
I am assuming you were correcting HIS spelling, in jest? ;) ;D

Yes because I never make misteaks

ellobo
03-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes because I never make misteaks.

Is that anything like a fillay?

Lobo

gotcha
03-27-2012, 01:05 AM
I think it's more like a soreloine. Stangfish will effect you that way.

Brian T
03-27-2012, 08:31 PM
anyone have a good source for spare mags for the 308 precision carbines?

jsthntn247
03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks, two full turns on the trigger adjustment seems to have solved the problem. What is odd is that the only adjustment I had made prior to this was to tighten the screw some. I guess over time/recoil it backed off

A little LOCK TOTE will fix you right up.

jonbearman
03-31-2012, 11:38 PM
midway or go to the savage store on their site and they should have them.