PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes, extras & boo - boos...

fgw_in_fla
03-25-2012, 02:55 PM
After 2 marvelous days of rifle & pistol shooting, I finished my weekend in my reloading rm / armory ::) and had a long look at my inventory. I decided I had wayy too many extras & boo - boos. In the past I'd use them for foulers, etc....

Suddenly I recall I own a RCBS collet bullet puller. Dang.... I was wondering what was in that green box. ::)

Now, to the question.

Do y'all save all the parts / components when you break any ammo down? All ammo that I make is documented in my book, labeled with marker & I put a tag in the box with them, just to be sure. I know what's what so I'm not concerned about dumping IMR4350 in with IMR4064 or any such mistake.
I'm not sure about the cases & bullets. They're all in real good condition. The RCBS collet puller works excellent & leaves no marks or distortion. I'm assuming bullets can be reused with little trouble. As for the cases, I'd be concerned the necks would be stretched out & new bullets inserted wouldn't have proper tension.
Then there's that 'ol pesky live primer issue. I've bumped out a few live primers before but, I gotta say I'm not real crazy about it..

Is it easier to just pitch 'em in the scrap can?

Whatcha think? ???

Frank in Fla

Werewolf
03-25-2012, 03:38 PM
If you have enough to make it worth your while just remove the decapping pin from the sizing stem and resize the cases with the primer in and reload. I use a seperate depriming die, so all my dies are set so the pin is either off or not protruding. I have reused powder before, but it was during the same loading session when I was ABSOLUTELY FREAKING SURE what powder it was because I only have one can out at a time. If there is any doubt at all dump it and err on the side of caution. I always reuse bullets, but I am not a hardcore target shooter, so maybe someone else will chip in on that aspect.

fgw_in_fla
03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
I agree with everything you say Wolf. I have powder / ammo marked 3 ways. Kinda like triple redundant so I'm not concerned about that.

If I punch out the primers, Can I reuse them again?
I mean, I don't want to sound like a cheap A55 or anything but the fact of the matter is... I am! If I can reuse them & if they fit OK, I'd like to. Anyone ever try it before with reasonable results?

The RCBS collet puller does a real nice job pulling bullets out. I'm not worried about them. It's the cases, resizing the necks & the primers I'm concerned about.

Somebody encourage me so if it don't work I can say "well, you told me to do it!" :P ::) :o ;D

Frank "Skin Flint" in Fla. ;)

Blue Avenger
03-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Don't think I would try recycling primers. they will be a bit looser, just not sure how much.

Eric in NC
03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
If you punch them out it will break up the priming compound and make them missfire or inconsistent. Punching them out is dangerous though!

Best way to get rid of them is to snap them in the gun or reload the primmed brass (as was said, run them through a neck sizer w/o decapper or use a lee collet die without the decapper).

I'd toss the powder.

fgw_in_fla
03-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanx Guys...
I appreciate the input. I think I'll put that project on hold for tonight. I keep hearing a scraping sound when I walk & I'm quite sure it's my butt draggin' behind me. I'm too tired for a project that requires brain usage.

When I close my eyes I can still hear the guy next to me at the range firing that 338 mag..... :o

Thanks, again.

Frank in Fla... ;)