PDA

View Full Version : Setting up/Building a Scout...

CAPTBEACH
03-25-2012, 01:46 PM
OK...had one a few years ago...sold it...but now I am building Savages...so whats every ones take on building a Savage Scout Rifle in .308?

Does/would Savage sell the Scout barrel? everything else is either stock or action...anyone done it? Pics?

Capt Beach

handirifle
03-25-2012, 06:36 PM
There are lots here that have done it, not my cup of tea though. What's the difference in the barrels? I like the short and handy concept of the rifle but I like a traditional mounting of the scope. My 308 wears a 20" barrel, but a receiver mounted 3x9 Burris.

thomae
03-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Capt (or is that CAPT?) Beach (Any relation to Ed Sr or Jr?),

I own a 10FCM (Scout) in 7.62x39.
Here is what you would need to do to mimic the factory scout: The factory scout uses a williams receiver sight and a williams front sight ramp and sight, so once you got your 20.5" barrel installed and headspaced, you would need to drill and tap for the forward sight rail and the front ramp (I believe the front ramp is a screw on). Voila.

Do you have a Dicks sporting goods near you? Their rewards program is generous and that is how I purchased mine at a significant discount from their list price. I shoot mine primarily with iron sights and can still do minute of deer at 200 yards if I do my part.

Very respectfully,
Thomae