PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust staggered feed mag?

jlefud71
03-23-2012, 08:50 AM
I pulled my mag off the action when I cleaned every thing and polished bolt and bedded action. I have it back on and it's dragging on bolt and even before I disassembled and now, it scratches the bass pretty good. It is a 7mm rm. how much clearence should I have from top of mag and bottom of bolt?

GaCop
03-26-2012, 06:57 AM
To eliminate the feed lips dragging on the bolt, you'll have to carefully file the feed lips until the no longer contact the bolt. I've never encountered a problem such as yours. The fix is a pain because of the file and try method, you will probably end up breaking off a tab. Probably the easiest would be to order a new mag box from Midway USA.

handirifle
03-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Sounds like the feed lips were bent too high up. They should not contact the bolt. Are the mag lips scratching the brass or something else? If it's the lips, I would install the mag and use a dremmel (or a small file if that is all you have, but those lips are HARD) and carefully remove a little bit at a tile and load some into the mag and try it. Otherwise it will get broken from the repeated R&R.

By the way, I ordered a mag from Midway for the 300WM and it scratched the crap out of my cases, so that is no guarantee either.

sharpshooter
03-26-2012, 11:32 PM
The tab that holds it in the receiver is bent past 90 degrees, holding it too high.
Using a large flat blade screw driver, place the blade on the rear tab from the top and tap with a hammer.

handirifle
03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
The tab that holds it in the receiver is bent past 90 degrees, holding it too high.
Using a large flat blade screw driver, place the blade on the rear tab from the top and tap with a hammer.

Interesting point, never thought of that one.

GaCop
03-27-2012, 05:48 AM

Interesting point, never thought of that one.

+1!

jlefud71
03-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Yep I got her bent back down and the I done some fine sanding on the lips until nothing felt sharp or unsmooth to the touch. Thanks guys.