PDA

View Full Version : Hornady match bullets

fgw_in_fla
03-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Anyone out there using .308 x 168gr match type HP bullets from Hornady? They look kinda sorta like VLD bullets. I thought I'd try them out since they're less money than my regular brand of Nosler Ballistic Tip.

I know my rifle works best with slow powders but I'm not sure about that VLD profile. The bullet looks like it goes halfway down the barrel :o :o

With Noslers, I like (or my 30.06 likes) 150's & 165's with IMR 4350. Higher / heavier charges seem to be most accurate.
Anyone got anything on the Hornady's?

Thanks, if y'all do..

I'll keep looking if y'all don't. Thanks anyway...

Frank in Fla.

darkker
03-22-2012, 08:06 PM
I still have some, but don't shoot them anymore.
My 10FP is ultra consistent with Win 748.
I used to be a long-time Hornady shooter, until I started chasing 1,000 yard stuff. I have better results with 175 SMK's. One thing I did notice(168 HPBT's Hornady, VS. 175 SMK's) is that I can get more velocity out of the SMK's, without the pressure signs.

Best of luck.

fgw_in_fla
03-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks Dark.
I appreciate any info I can get. These Hornady bullets are very different compared to my usual (Nosler BT). I also have some .277 / 110gr. Varmints by Hornady. I noticed the Lyman manual shows considerably higher velocities and faster powders. Since I just happen to have a bunch of IMR4064 that I bought for my '06 (which it hates), I believe I'll start there and have a go at it.

Since I'm starting to shoot up to 400yds now, I thought maybe... just maybe they would help. We'll see.

Thanks again.

Frank in Fla