PDA

View Full Version : Coyote weekend.

5spd
03-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Center male is 36 lbs I dropped at approx 210+/- yds with my 6x45 & 65g vmax.
I had shot another at 150 yds or so on the run after it hit afterburners and just got a few clumps of fur on the ground...it got away & should of been down.
One dog came screaming into a set that had my pal & I looking west into the setting sun with another friend sitting with his back to us watching another direction. All I saw was a streak of blond fur in my scope then the sun flaring into my eye blinding me for that shot. My pal barked at it before it ran over the other guy as he had the sun in his eyes also...the other pal got a shot at it, but it zig/zagged & made it out of Dodge.
The area was pretty open and we could see for 2 miles+ in some areas...so they could also see us. Several paired up dogs just would not bust the 400+ yard mark. One pair just stayed out at 600+ and walked around....finally the female came in BUT very slowly & cautiously. My pal dropped her at 30 yds when he got up to stalk her after she decided to get out of range from my other friend & I. She circled out of our site so the pal to our left at 80 yds was closer to the hill/creek bottom she was escaping through so he made tracks to intercept it.
The final straw was a few squeaks at her and she wanted to slobber his face with a coyote kiss. That was a long set as we had them in site for a long time.
The other pal got stampeded on another late evening set after pal #1 went to stalk a lion tailed dog with me spotting for him.
We had 2 in site and were hearing more that were making the early eve rounds.
Pal #2 heard a few dogs about 1/2 mile from us so he took off to see what he could do as I stayed and scoped for the stalker guy.
He got ran over by 3 coyotes that came in on a full run looking for a fight with the sound they heard, got off 6 shots at 30 yards at all 3 without dropping one. It was funny as heck listening to him tell us what happened.
He did dropped one at about 1150 pm on a nite hunt also.
Another pair just sat below the hill they came over at 500+/- yds listening to the sounds playing & making no commitment what so ever.
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn400/5spd1/coyote3-12009.jpg

Tony in SC
03-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Looks like ya'll had fun. Tony

scott597
03-22-2012, 09:38 PM
nice job! good looking dogs!

snowgetter1
03-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Very nice dogs. Look alot better than the mange looking ones I see.