PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 ejector fubar'd

bendigo78
03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
I had a reloading fubar and had a couple very hot loads go through my 10-FP. I stopped shooting and started over on my load development. Next time I shot the rifle I notice that my cases aren't ejecting out of the action. I look at the bolt face and notice that the ejector no longer protrudes from the bolt face. I either broke it or it's jammed in there.
Anyone have a how link on bolt disassemble the bolt? Has anyone broke an ejector off?

TRguy
03-19-2012, 03:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIwyywJZf-4

All your repair parts can be ordered from brownells or midway usa

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p563/RedSoloCup/SavageBoltParts3-12.jpg

stangfish
03-19-2012, 05:16 PM
The ejector should protrude from the face of the bolt. Is the pin currently flush with the face of the bolt? If so can you use a suitable tool like a punch to compress the pin into the spring. Spray some cleaner in there if not and try again. There is a small pin on the side of the bolt not shown in the diagram above but is the small hole in this picture.

http://i55.tinypic.com/289wtn5.jpg

Drive it out either direction to remove a retaining pin. At that time the ejector will or should spring out like buck rodgers. Find a way to keep that from happening like covering the bolt face with tape or something.
the parts that come out of the hole in the face are a spring and a pin that is notched on the side.

das_napeth
03-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Depending on shipping prices I would just order from Savage as brownells charges almost double what savage does.

bendigo78
03-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replies, I found the youtube vid. I'm pretty sure the ejector is broke because it no longer has the chamfer around the top.

bendigo78
03-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Ok, got the bolt assembly apart except for the ejector. After hosing it down with cleaner, the ejector moves back and forth freely but has no spring tension. The ejector doesn't seem to be broke. Also the retaining pin for the ejector will not move. Could the spring be binding this up?

JCalhoun
03-22-2012, 03:27 PM
The springs in these are fairly weak. It's very likely your's will need to be replaced.

gotcha
03-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Use a 1/16th punch & insert in the end of the small hole in stangfish's pic. The pin is often peened over on the opposite end making it difficult to drive out from that side. If the ejector is flat on the protruding end it may have been modified by a previous owner to aid ejection. Sounds like you'll need at least a new spring & maybe a new through pin. After spring removal chk the bore of the ejector for chatter marks from the drilling process. These chatter marks are often the cause of erratic ejector behavior. If bad enough, may require a new bolt head. The little ejector retaining pin has Tiny "ears" on it which helps hold the pin in the hole. The "ears" could be hanging up on the ejector rod. Pull or push the ejector to a neutral position to allow the "ears"Let us know how it goes to clear the ejector. The pin should then tap out easily. Let us know how it goes. I think I've got an extra spring I could send you if needed. Dale

bendigo78
03-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Ordered the replacement parts but i'm starting think that the pin is broke in the middle. Will not drive out from the desired direction but did move slightly from the other. Then I bent my piece of allen wrench. Guess i'm going to have to buy a punch.

gotcha
03-28-2012, 01:22 AM
MAN ! That overload must have been HUMONGOUS :o Might not hurt to apply some penetrating fluid to the pin 'til you get the punch. Have you thought about drilling the pin out? It'll take carbide or better to put a dent in the pin. Its made of REALLY hard stuff.

bendigo78
03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I've thought about drilling it but am afraid that the bit might open up the pin hole. I figure that'll be a last resort. The loads were hot enough that the bolt was sticky.

fgw_in_fla
03-28-2012, 12:28 PM
I had a similar situation with my bolt when a primer burned thru the back & deposited soot all over the bolt face. It ended up causing the ejector pin to stick inside the bolt head. I soaked it with penetrating oil & had to beat the retaining pin out with considerable force.

Make sure the bolt / head is resting on something SOLID...like the concrete floor. Take careful aim & hit square & solid. It'll come out. It's a pretty tight fit so it doesn't take much debris to make it stick & hang up when you're trying to remove it.
A good strong tool steel punch can make all the difference.

Lots of penetrator, lots of good aim & lots of patience.

The spring on mine got stuck inside the bolt head to where I had pulled it out & completely distorted it. It seemed like it got welded in the bolt head. I used a drill bit to clean out the piece of spring that got stuck in the hole. I ended up wallowing out the ejector pin / spring hole a wee bit but it still functions OK. Good luck with it.

Frank in Fla ;)

bendigo78
04-02-2012, 11:22 AM
With the proper punch and bolt support the pin came out in one whack. Ejector just fell out. Doesn't look like the spring is even in there but the new spring sticks out 1/8" when in the hole. So the old spring has got to be in there. I'll try the drill bit and see what happens.

bendigo78
04-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Quick note to anyone who has to attempt drilling out an ejector spring, use a drill bit sized to the ejector hole. If you use a smaller bit, it will get caught inside the spring, run to the bottom, and promptly snap off inside the hole. :'(

thomae
04-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Were you able to get it out?

bendigo78
04-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Nope, went ahead and ordered a new one. Had already bought the rest of the parts to replace the ejector. Bit snapped off inside the hole and I have no idea you'd get ahold of it and I don't know what you'd use to drill out a drill bit.

bendigo78
04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Got the new bolt from midway, looks like it's hard chromed. Got it all assembled and shot it this weekend. Don't think it changed the point of impact more than a minute. This is why I love savages!

gotcha
04-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Glad to hear you're back in the saddle again ! That spring was just plain ORNERY >:(