PDA

View Full Version : Scope advice needed, Hunter Model 11 (Wood)- edit by JCalhoun

22BVGord
03-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Just picked one of these up and am now looking for a scope. A 50mm does not seem to be a good fit with the holes that are drilled/tapped in the barrel. It seems the 50 takes an extra high Weaver ring and this might not be the best. It looks like a one piece base might work. Has anyone put a 50mm on and if so, what base/ring combo did you use. Have been looking at the Bush. Elite 3200 in 3-10-50 and the 3-9-40 Firefly. The Firefly seems like a good fit for hunting (.308) with a Medium base.

JCalhoun
03-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Gord,

I moved your thread and edited the title so maybe you will get more replies.

earl39
03-20-2012, 12:21 AM
I belive you have answered your own question. If the 50 is to big go with the 40 and enjoy it.

MaDa
03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
No ideas about the fitment issues your having. But just my two cents on the bushnell 3200 3-9x40 firefly; I've got one on my win m70 in 270wsm and it's held zero for the last 6 years or so and not given me any problems. I was looking through it last night around 30 min past sunset and the picture was still clear and you could make out your target. (I was in a heavy canopy forest). I've never used the firefly reticle, you have to shine a light into the eyepiece of the scope to get it to glow. A invention worth mention when I bought it, but with the electrical reticles now it would make me strongly consider the differences in price.

Good luck. I'm about to mount a 50mm scope on my Stevens long action in 30-06. Long action people almost always have to get one piece bases to make the eye relief correct. And high rings.

Good luck hopefully someone here has a combo that they know works and will share

jgerrington
03-21-2012, 02:23 PM
the holes are in the action, not the barrel. it depends on what time you do most of your shooting as to what size objective you need. 50mm will work just as good as 40mm. I have almost all 50mm. the bushnell elite with firefly is a very good choice for low light hunting. the firefly reticle is useless and will ruin your hunt if you shine a flashlight on it at dark. I like the firefly reticle because it is very thick and I never use the glowing feature. I have a 3200 and 4200 and can't tell any difference when looking through them. both are very good scopes. if you want a glowing reticle, get one with a battery as MaDa suggested.
medium mounts may work with 50mm depending on your barrel contour and base selection