PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 6br build?

Mhouser
03-17-2012, 01:56 PM
I have a Stevens 200 in .308.

I will not be competing with this setup and I'm looking for something that will work at ranges between 200 and 500 yards.

I'm thinking 10 twist with .080 free bore shooting 87gr vmaxs or equivalent and .269 nk. Barrel length 24" or 26".

Would anyone strongly disagree with these specs for a 6br that could do reasonably well at distances in the 200 - 500 range?

Also some help with finding a true bench rest stock with wide foreend would be appreciated. The bell and Carlsons are popular but more tactical in nature. Can't seem to find true bench rest stock for the savage.

Dennis
03-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Also some help with finding a true bench rest stock with wide foreend would be appreciated

What is your exact bolt pattern? Measure center to center, both outer bolts.

Mhouser
03-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Also some help with finding a true bench rest stock with wide foreend would be appreciated

What is your exact bolt pattern? Measure center to center, both outer bolts.

The gun is in shipping but I asked specifically and was told that it was the centerfeed 4.4" spacing.

Dennis
03-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Can't help you on the 4.40, but I have seen a few pop up from time to time.

Watch accurateshooter.com as well!

Dennis

Mhouser
03-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Can't help you on the 4.40, but I have seen a few pop up from time to time.

Watch accurateshooter.com as well!

Dennis

What makes and models should I be looking for? I really want one of the fancy 3" wide forend blinged out custom looking super long range benchrest style stocks. That's a lot of adjectives. Can I just order a new one from someone. Really hard to tell what companies offer in the 4.4 from their websites. Maybe I'll have to pick up the phone and start making calls.

jpdown
03-17-2012, 04:10 PM
You did not state if you prefer a wood or composite stock. Go to Stockade Gunstocks and take a look at what's offered. The Long-Range Benchrest model with the various options offered might be your ticket. Call Kevin and he will work with you. But be prepared to wait several months for a custom benchrest stock. Richards Microfit offers several custom wood benchrest style stocks with flat, wide forearms. But you will need to do some final fitting, sanding and finish work. Also a pretty long wait.

I have a Savage SA with light varmint Accutrigger, 6mmBR 10 twist 26" McGowen varmint barrel and Richards Marksman stock that shoots 65 gr V-MAX's with impressive accuracy out to the ranges you mentioned. I expect it would shoot a 87 grain V-MAX or Berger bullet with similar results. If I needed a new 6mmBR barrel, then it would most likely be a CBI barrel from Northland Shooters Supply. I've purchase one in .204 Ruger and 6.5x284 with light varmint contours from Jim at NSS since I got the 6mmBR McGowen. The CBI is a great custom barrel for the money. Not much to dislike about my 6mmBR. Easy to find an accurate load for and less recoil with plenty of reach for long range Pdogs makes for a great day afield.

Mhouser
03-17-2012, 05:03 PM
You did not state if you prefer a wood or composite stock. Go to Stockade Gunstocks and take a look at what's offered. The Long-Range Benchrest model with the various options offered might be your ticket. Call Kevin and he will work with you. But be prepared to wait several months for a custom benchrest stock. Richards Microfit offers several custom wood benchrest style stocks with flat, wide forearms. But you will need to do some final fitting, sanding and finish work. Also a pretty long wait.

I have a Savage SA with light varmint Accutrigger, 6mmBR 10 twist 26" McGowen varmint barrel and Richards Marksman stock that shoots 65 gr V-MAX's with impressive accuracy out to the ranges you mentioned. I expect it would shoot a 87 grain V-MAX or Berger bullet with similar results. If I needed a new 6mmBR barrel, then it would most likely be a CBI barrel from Northland Shooters Supply. I've purchase one in .204 Ruger and 6.5x284 with light varmint contours from Jim at NSS since I got the 6mmBR McGowen. The CBI is a great custom barrel for the money. Not much to dislike about my 6mmBR. Easy to find an accurate load for and less recoil with plenty of reach for long range Pdogs makes for a great day afield.

It doesn't matter if its wood or composite. I just want to be able to make it shiny someone. I'm thinking wood would be heavier and maybe better suited to offset the heavy barrel from a balance perspective.

rjtfroggy
03-18-2012, 06:26 AM
Check Stocky's and see if they still have the Hart stocks for Savage.There are a few in the "pictures post" here on the forum.
If you want custom you will have a wait but you will also get what you want. Try SSS they have pics on thier web site,Manners,Joel Russo(would be my choice) excellant work great customer service but it is still going to have a wait time.
There are a few others do a search through Google and they should pop up.

JCalhoun
03-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Mhouser;

Sharp Shooter Supply can hook you up with a stock and everything else you'll need to work on your rig.