PDA

View Full Version : Question on measurement off the lands for a .260 Rem Shillen match select 26 in

tactical723
03-16-2012, 08:43 PM
I am working up a new load and since I shot the ever forgiving .308 smk forever, I never measured off the lands. Now that I have a brand new 26 stainless Shillen match select barrel, where should I start with my measurement off of the lands. I will be loading 142 SMK, H4350 and new Remington brass.

Aircraftmech76
03-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Go get yourself a Hornady Lock-n-Load OAL gauge with a 260 Modified Case to find your jam length. Start with .020" off, and go from there. If you have a set of digital calipers, you can zero them out on the gauge. The measurements are usually referred to as BTO, or Base To Ogive. This is a much more accurate measurement with regards to seating depth consistency than measuring from the base of the case to the tip. Bullets can vary considerably in their overall length, but the ogive profile of a bullet is the characteristic you're looking for in regards to consistency.

Kevin

GaCop
03-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Go get yourself a Hornady Lock-n-Load OAL gauge with a 260 Modified Case to find your jam length. Start with .020" off, and go from there. If you have a set of digital calipers, you can zero them out on the gauge. The measurements are usually referred to as BTO, or Base To Ogive. This is a much more accurate measurement with regards to seating depth consistency than measuring from the base of the case to the tip. Bullets can vary considerably in their overall length, but the ogive profile of a bullet is the characteristic you're looking for in regards to consistency.

Kevin

+1

tactical723
03-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys, thats exactly what I have to measure, although I had the Lock and Load set up for .308 and no one had the .260 rem modified case in stock, so I ordered directly from Hornady. Should be here anyday

SMK Shoe
03-20-2012, 09:24 PM
I always try to start at the lands during initial load development, that way once I find a powder charge and start with final tuning, pressure can only go down. A load on the very edge when .020 off the lands will be unsafe if the load is accidentally loaded on the lands or jammed. Just a safety issue to think of.

Fat Albert
04-13-2012, 11:15 AM
To everyone that has a StoneyPoint/Hor setup Sinclair now sells their own bullet comparitor inserts and headspace inserts. http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=34014/avs%7CCaliber_1=AAU_9xzzx3%20mm%20(xzzx366)%7CAAH_ 264zz1zz6xzzx5%20mm%20(xzzx264)/Product/Sinclair-Insert-Style-Bullet-Comparator

To SMK Shoe: to start at the lands is like starting with a max load of powder. If it didn't blow a primer or setback the lugs then a smaller load is safe. I see the lands as something to load to not away from.

nsaqam
04-13-2012, 11:37 AM
I agree with SMK.
Work up your powder charge with the bullet kissing the lands. When you find pressure see how it shoots. If it shoots great (and it likely will) then you're golden. If not then you know you only have one direction to go with the bullet and that is deeper. Since you found pressure on the lands anything off the lands will be lower pressure.
Doing it any other way just seems foolish to me.

gotcha
04-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Always better to keep safety in mind. But what about those bullets that shoot better jammed? Other than the obvious of adjusting powder charges from min to max for each jammed length? Just wondering how others handle this situation.

BLR81
03-30-2013, 07:46 PM
I agree with SMK.
Work up your powder charge with the bullet kissing the lands. When you find pressure see how it shoots. If it shoots great (and it likely will) then you're golden. If not then you know you only have one direction to go with the bullet and that is deeper. Since you found pressure on the lands anything off the lands will be lower pressure.
Doing it any other way just seems foolish to me. Some of my best most accurate loads started at mag length which were .050 off lands. If you start at the lands, you may get a pressure sign that you wouldn't get at .030 off. Then you won't try the higher loads which could be better.

I usually start .030 off the lands and run my ladder test. Then once I find the load I think will work the best, I'll inch it in .005 at a time and then check for pressure signs and accuracy. I also check it out more, say to .050-.060 off the lands. But, I never crimp so I never jam it into the lands.

maxl
03-31-2013, 05:36 PM
I start .020 off the lands I usually find my most accurate loads at .005 to .020 even with the bergers, I admit my method takes longer and cost a little more in supplies and seems foolish to some, but I'm not one to jamb bullets into the lands fill the case and look for signs of pressure seems a little unsafe to me, but hey I am a firm believer in removing all warning labels and let nature take it's coarse.